La Grande Illusion

"And for the guys who beat on me?"

Mickey is determined to have a good day. She woke up, decided to make her best blueberry pancakes for her family, and a mimosa for her mother.

It seems her mother is not in the same spirit when she sits down at the table with a grim expression. "The lawyers are coming over this week to take our statements for your Dad's hearing." She rubs her palms together nervously. "We're all gonna have to testify on your father's behalf."

"What if they ask about what he did? Embezzling all that money?" Veronica walks into their dining room.

Mickey huffs. "It's always something. Are we going to have to lie?"

"Well," Hermione sighs, "we might have to...shade the truth a bit, girls." She's downplaying things, but Mickey knows there's more on her mind than testifying. "I have just made a mess of things. Your father found out about Fred and me."

Mickey and Veronica take a seat on each side of her.

"Someone went to him before I got a chance to say anything."

"How'd he react?" Mickey questions.

Hermione purses her lips together, ignoring the question. "On top of that, the Blossoms are still after the drive-in land, and Fred still doesn't know that we own it."

"Maybe it's time you tell Mr. Andrews the truth," Veronica suggests.

"Yeah," Mickey agrees. "He's a good man. He doesn't deserve to be left in the dark."

"And risk having him walk off the project?" Hermione shakes her head. "We've bet everything we have on the SoDale construction."

Veronica warns, "Mom, this is a small, gossipy town."

Mickey picks her bag off the floor and stands up, "Tell Fred before someone else does, like they did with you and Dad."

Veronica wraps a couple pancakes in a napkin and grabs her bag as well. "Come on before we're late for school." She goes ahead to the elevator.

Hermione grabs Mickey's wrist before she follows Veronica. "Sweetie, I need to tell you something."

Mickey rolls her eyes, "There's more? What else could possibly be wrong?"

She takes a deep breathe and exhales slowly. "Your Dad...could've been responsible for the damage done to Fred's construction site."

"And for the guys who beat on me?" It all starts making sense for Mickey. "Bye, Mom." She can't look at her any longer.

"This is the most depressing day ever," Mickey plops down next to Kevin in the student lounge.