Big Fun

"And that is what we in the theater call a breakthrough

"And that is what we in the theater call a breakthrough."

"Thank you for doing this," Kevin gives Mickey a small smile.

They've have been standing by the school entrance for five minutes, awaiting Hermione's arrival, and it's been five minutes of awkward silence. This isn't the Kevin Mickey knows—the Kevin who always made her laugh and who made conversation so easygoing. Even his body language is rigid.

"I know how much school plays mean to you," Mickey says. "And it's one piece of you that isn't the Farm, so..."

Kevin's face goes stone-like when at the mention of the farm. "Anyways...what's the plan? How are we going to convince—"

The doors open and her mothers walks in with a less than enthusiastic face. "Mija, what am I doing here?"

"Mom, I know you don't like the idea of Heathers being the school musical, but—"

Hermione holds her index finger up to stop her daughter from speaking. "How, in God's name, is a play about teen violence and suicide a good idea in Riverdale, especially after the tragedy of last year's musical?"

"Please, Mayor Lodge," Kevin pleads. "Yes, Heathers deals with teen alienation and desperation, but its characters long for simpler, more innocent times. It's ultimate message is a rejection of nihilism."

"I'm sorry, Kevin. I just don't think it's appropriate."

"Look, listen," Mickey begins guiding her down the hall. "You, and all the other adults in town, don't know what us kids are thinking or what we're dealing with."

"Times are hard in Riverdale." Kevin begins to list the tribulations everyone's all facing, "Judgement. Not feeling like we're in high school. Getting through the hard times and hoping for something better. We can't wait to leave."

"Are all of you this miserable?" Hermione wonders.

"You have no idea."

It's the truth. It doesn't feel like they're kids especially with their adult-like issues. Veronica is currently on a search for a bouncer, Jughead and Mickey are trying to put a stop to his own mother, and Betty's fighting against a cult. The only normal thing going on is Cheryl and Toni's breakup and how they're icing each other out.

"If you'll just listen to the lyrics of the first song." Mickey pushes open the doors to the auditorium. "Maybe seeing a glimpse of the work everyone has put in will help you make the right decision."