The Homecoming

"You're cute

"You're cute. That's cute, but no."

"Thanks for bringing me food."

Veronica watches her sister tear into the takeout bag from the diner. She thought Mickey still might want it because she stormed out before Pop could put in their order. Plus, they're coincidentally on the same floor at the Five Seasons. "Well, after you left, Archie told us the town is lawless now. Firehouse burned up. Sheriff's office is gone except Kev's dad. Whoever could afford to leave is long gone. Only the people who are too poor or too proud to move on are still here."

Mickey swallows the food in her mouth. "That's all awful, Veronica, but I didn't come back here to save the town."

"But Daddy's stripped the town of its funding because he's building a turnpike for people to go to his new town, SoDale."

"I can't stay here," she deadpans. "Drop it."

A few minutes of awkward silence pass between the two. Veronica breaks it first, "This is weird, right? Being back here with high school friends and lovers?"

"How does crazy Chad think about you being here?"

"Don't call him that."

Mickey puts the foil that was holding her now-finished burger in the bag. "Why? I know a controlling man when I see one."

Veronica scoffs, "You don't even know me anymore, so how in the world can you think that you know my husband? You've barely come around to get to know him."

"Because I can smell the darkness on him. Just like daddy." Mickey hasn't spoken to her father in years. She knew after graduation he would just go back to his shady ways. It was enough for her to cut ties with him. "You've gotten wrapped up. That's why we barely see each other when we live in the same freakin' city."

"I was in an accident that could've taken my life, and even that didn't change things between us!"

"I was at the hospital, Veronica. What else did you want from me? You and Chad had people waiting on you for everything! You didn't need me and I have my own life!"

Veronica rolls her eyes. "Oh, yeah. Your life is full of meaningless people, who you don't let yourself get attached to because all you want to do is worry about Mickey." Then she gets up and leaves.

"So you want me to give you a job?" Toni pours Jughead a drink downstairs in the Whyte Wyrm.

Jughead takes a swig of the drink. He needs some liquid courage to beg Toni—especially in front of Mickey. "I just need some quick cash. Kinda hoping you could hook me up with something short-term."

Mickey is only there to hang out with Toni and the guys. She was surprised when Jughead waltzed in. She's even more surprised now that he's asking for a job, considering he and the Serpents are no longer friends.