Judgement Night

"What have you two been doing, Sweet Pea?"

"Any news on Fangs?" Mickey throws the paper towel into the garbage big outside of the hospital bathroom.

"Uh," Sweet Pea clears his throat. "Not yet. It'll be a while until we do, right?" He leans on the wall across from the bathroom.

Her racing thoughts are crippling, but she straightens up so that she doesn't look guilty. Still, the words come flying out of her mouth. "I'm sorry, Sweets. This whole thing has been a nightmare and—"

"What're you apologizing for?"

She wants to tell him she's sorry for her father because this is all his fault. Everything is always his fault. She feels guilty by association. Instead, she swallows it down and puffs out her cheeks. Her best defection method probably isn't the smartest, but she goes for it anyway. Mickey draws closer to him and cups one side of his face. Then she leans in to kiss him. "I'm just sorry this happened," she whispers before their lips touch.

Sweet Pea relaxes into the kiss for a few seconds. He even smiles into it. Then he pulls away to look her in the eye. "You were the strongest out of all of us out there. You didn't freeze up like some of us." It is shockingly intimate the way he holds her in place and tilts his head slightly to press his lips to the inside of her wrist. He is sure he can feel her racing pulse against his lips.

Mickey wants to dismiss his claim. Strong? She almost had a panic attack in the waiting room. It was so bad that she didn't even notice how insane she looked with Fangs' blood covering her hands, clothes, and face. She was practically begging for a drink a few minutes ago.

"Calm down," Sweet Pea rushed to her side in the waiting room. "You're not thinking straight right now. You need to get cleaned up."

"What the hell is going on?" Toni's unusually stern voice causes the both of them to jump apart and turn to her.

"Toni—"

"Our best friend was just shot and you're over here kissing Jughead's girl!" the pink-haired girl glowers at her tall best friend.

Sweet Pea is uncomfortable as Toni inches closer to them. "Her and Jones are nothing," he tries to defend.

"That doesn't matter! He is going to freak when he hears about this." Toni shakes her head in disapproval. "People talk, you know?" Her question is pointed at Mickey. "You get around and you've had no problem getting around our club. You're not stupid, Mickey. This is something that could ruin friendships!"

Mickey folds her arms over her chest defensively. "Wow. You're the last person I'd expect to slut shame."

"I'm not—"

"You are." Mickey throws her hands up in exasperation. "It doesn't even matter," she says sourly. "Jughead is with Betty."

Toni's shoulders shake as she forces out a dark chuckle, "And still if he found this out, he'd be crushed. Don't be naïve."