The Lost Weekend

"Why does it feel like you're breaking up with me?"

"I can't believe she's kicking your ass," an amused Archie comments from his bed.

Mickey rolls her eyes, "Because a girl can't possibly be better at video games."

Fred knocks on the door, cutting the banter. "I'm, uh, I'm headed out. Sorry to be missing your birthday this weekend, Jug."

Jughead pauses the game to look at him, "Oh, you will not be missing anything, Mr. Andrews. I barely acknowledge my own birthday."

Fred looks at her next. "Hi, Mickey. You staying while I'm gone?"

"If that's okay with you?" she tests. Mickey has been continuing her visits to the Andrews' home even after Fred and her mother ended their relationship. It's a little weird, but Mickey knows Fred wasn't only nice to her because he was interested in her Mom. He's a genuine guy.

He nods in approval. Next, he looks at his son. "Arch, can you give me a hand downstairs?" He must have something to say that needs to be said in private.

Mickey puts her game controller down. "You going to tell Betty or anyone else about it being your birthday?"

He shakes his head, "No. Neither will you, right?"

"Whatever you say, Juggy."

"You want to play again?"

"No, I want to ask you about your murder investigation."

That's not one of their usual topics of discussion. "What about it?"

"Anything new come up?"

A couple of days ago, Mickey went to pick up Jughead from the newspaper room at school so they could walk to lunch together. Instead, she found an empty room and a murder board with her father's name on it.

"What are you guys talking about?" Archie walks back into the room.

Jughead suggests, "Maybe we should tell her about our new suspect."

"Oh," Archie's brown eyes fall to the ground instantly.

"Someone tell me," she pushes.

"When I was Cheryl's escort, when the board was in town," Archie begins, "I overheard Clifford Blossom say he had your Dad arrested and put into jail."

Mickey knew her father was a suspect, but actually hearing it from her friends and how they perceive him makes her feel downright awful—and anxious. She already worried about her Dad and putting murder suspect on top of that is nerve wracking.

She stands up once they're done explaining. "We should get to school."