Things That Go Bump in the Night

✿

"I really needed this shopping trip, Mick."

Mickey drops her shopping bags on the middle of the rug in Toni and Fangs' apartment. She exhales, relieved that she's no longer carrying bags. "Retail therapy is the best therapy," she sings.

"Babe," Toni calls out for Fangs once her bags are down too.

Fangs exits the nursery, closing the door behind him. He kisses the top of Mickey's head before going to kiss Toni on the lips briefly.

"Whose car is that outside?" Mickey inquires. Her and Toni noticed it on their way up and Toni said she's never seen it before.

"Mine and Toni's." Fangs goes to the stove to finish making whatever he's making. "I used my signing bonus to put a down payment."

"Archie gave you a signing bonus?"

"No. Percival did. I joined his crew."

Toni looks at Mickey before looking back at him. "Fangs! You do know he's evil incarnate, right? He's trying to destroy Riverdale. For all we know, he could be responsible for Anthony's kidnapping."

Mickey adds, "He's controlling minds. Hello, Kevin, Frank, Alice..." Mickey knows she doesn't have to mention the fact that Percival is trying to bulldoze Pop's. The historical landmark request was denied and that's why Tabitha hired Archie, Fangs, and the crew to help take the diner apart for preservation "Tabitha needs you right now."

"Archie told me about the tether," Fangs throws a cloth over his shoulder. "And I'm sorry about the diner, but this is long-term. Higher wages, the signing bonus—they were too good to deny."

"That's selfish! We don't need that money!" Toni snaps at him. "I can't believe you'd work with Percival!"

"We do need this money! We are drowning in bills for a case that we are losing!" Fangs shouts back.

"Don't say that!"

"What is it, Toni? You want to be the main provider? You want me and baby Anthony to always depend on you?"

"He depends on both of us," she hisses. She might be the one working, but he's the one that takes care of Anthony majority of the time. It works for them—or she thought it did.

"Okay," Mickey stands between the two of them. Not only could they disturb Anthony's nap, but she doesn't want to see them fight. It's uncomfortable. "Both of you relax and stop yelling. Don't let Percival put a wedge between the two of you."

Fangs turns off the burner and throws the cloth down. "I have to go get some diapers."

Toni wants to stop him, but her stubbornness doesn't allow her.

The next day, Mickey goes to check on the diner's progress. She realizes nothing has been moved. "I thought you guys started work yesterday..."

Tabitha folds her arms over her chest, sighing deeply. "We did. All the stuff was moved back in the diner overnight. Percival wants to flatten the diner with everything still in it."

Archie scoffs. "Tough luck 'cause we're getting it all out of here again."

The two of them are called over by a couple of workers so they leave Mickey standing by the door. She is about to move when two workers a few feet away start talking way too loudly.

"We need to quit," one states. "Before Percival 's crew is full, man."

"You're right," the other agrees. "We should—"

Mickey goes right up to them. "What're you saying? You agreed to this. You can't just bail."

One of them opens his mouth to say something.

"Please," Mickey begs. "You're so needed."

"Of course," the men say in unison. "Anything you want."

Mickey is slightly taken back by their easy agreement, but she doesn't argue it.

Tabitha and Archie rejoin Mickey's side just as Mickey gets a call. Tabitha watches her walk out before looking at the workers that Mickey was just talking to. "You guys are doing great!"

"Yeah, but I don't know why we're still here," one says.

Then Mickey waltz back in.

"Because of her," the other reminds his friend. Then they're back to working.

Tabitha and Archie share a look. The former chuckles. "Men are so easily influenced."

The glare from the window creates this weird pink color around the men for a split second, but Mickey's distracted when Tabitha starts talking.

Mickey plops down on Jughead and Tabitha's couch, fully exhausted from the day. She ended up spending way more time at the diner than she intended.

Then she went to Toni and Fangs' apartment to help Toni set up a surprise for Fangs. She helped Toni set up rose petals around the apartment and she strategically placed candles around the place.

"I can't believe you're proposing," Mickey says as she lights another candle. "This is so modern."

"Don't say it like that," Toni laughs. "This has to be done. I talked to my lawyer and Fangs and I need to be a united front for court."

Mickey turns away from a candle to look at her best friend. "Is that the only reason you're asking?"

"No. I'm also hoping it seizes some of the arguing we've been doing," Toni jokes. "Seriously though, our image in court is a big reason why," she admits. Then her eyes widen and she slaps her palm to her mouth. "I don't know why I said that."

"Tired?" Jughead asks her, breaking her train of thought.

Mickey yawns to answer his question. She leans over to look at what he's writing. "You're writing again," she smiles lazily. "Jug, that's amazing!"

He says, "It's relaxing me after a day with your sister."

"You were with Veronica?"

"We—I helped her wipe Reggie's mind. He knew that she had your father killed," he informs her. "He was blackmailing her."

"So you helped her out of a mess she created?" Mickey is about to tell him he shouldn't have done that, but stops herself. It wouldn't change that he did it. "So you can wipe minds now? If I ever figure out you've tried to wipe my mind, I'll be pissed."

"What would I have to erase? Our little conversation?" His tone is coquettish.

Mickey's smirk falls when the pink glow surrounds him. It's just like how it was with the workers at the diner today—the glow and the complete lack restraint.

Then Tabitha enters the apartment. She hangs her jacket up on the hook. "After a chaotic few days, the diner is finally set up at El Royale." She moves to the couch, leans down and kisses Jughead. Then she places herself between Jughead and Mickey, leaning against Jughead to look at her friend. She smiles at Mickey, "I'd kiss you, but that'd be inappropriate."

"Tabby," Mickey gasps at Tabitha's blatant statement. She stands abruptly from the couch when the same pink glow is suddenly around Tabitha too. First the workers, then Jughead, and now Tabitha.

Jughead notices the weird look on her face. "Mick, what's wrong?"

"I think I've got that superpower I've been talking about."