The Outsiders

"Would it be okay if I said I wasn't?"

The clock reads 2:14 AM.

Mickey props herself on her side, using her elbow for support. The moonlight provides just enough light through the window so that she can see Jughead lying on his back with his eyes wide open. "You okay down there?"

He lets out a tired sigh. "Just thinking, Mick."

"About your family?"

"Yes. Among other things." He turns his head to look up at her. "You and Archie...what is that? Were you guys—"

"Nothing happened. Nothing."

Again, he sighs. "Good because he's my best friend and you're—I don't know what you are to me. Definitely more than a friend."

"How about Betty? You like her, don't you?"

"I'm just as confused as you are."

"I'm not," she tells him. "I know what I want."

"How can you? I saw you at the diner tonight, holding hands with Archie and Fred's comment about you sneaking. What did you really come here to do tonight?"

"I told you nothing has happened." She settles her head back on the pillow and they don't say anything else.

"Polly's convinced herself that no one wants her baby," Betty frowns.

It's the next morning and they're all in the student lounge, including Cheryl.

"Besides, of course, the child-snatching Blossom monsters," Kevin sneers. He notices Cheryl's sudden stiffness and retracts, "No offense, Cheryl."

"None taken," she looks him up and down, clearly taking offense.

Jughead says, "So your Mom and Dad want Polly, but not the baby, and the Blossoms want the baby and not Polly." When Betty nods her head, he says, "That's a true Gordian knot."

Whatever that means.

"It's an impossible situation," Betty sighs.

"Betty, come on." Veronica explains, "An impossible situation is being invited to both the Vanity Flair Oscar party and Elton John's Oscar party on the same night."

"Did that really happen?" Kevin whispers to Mickey. He's always in awe about the situations the Lodges found themselves in in New York. Veronica knows this and hooks him every chance she gets.

Mickey nods. "Vanity Flair was the no brainer."

"This is merely an annoying situation," Veronica continues. "But luckily, I've been percolating on an idea, hellishly simple in its conception. What if my Mom and I were to host a baby shower?" Veronica looks around for approval.