Strange Bedfellows

"We learn by tripping and falling

"We learn by tripping and falling."

"Welcome back, sis."

Veronica air-kisses her sister's cheeks, "I can't believe you're here in my apartment to welcome me back." She drops her bags in the living room and sees the untouched box on the coffee table, "Is that my special delivery?"

"Yes. Smithers said it came last night. Uh, there's something you should know. Dad—"

"Wait," Veronica cuts her off. "Let me get my eyes on the opal first." She skips to the table and opens the box. Her eyes gleam with delight, "My gem contact in Ethiopia did not lie. This blue opal is even more stunning than I imagined! And just in time, too. I've got a buyer coming into town from Montreal—Mr. Sand. I can use the commission from the sale of this gem to start paying back Chad's investors."

"Then you can divorce his sorry ass." When Mickey found out that Chad was blackmailing Veronica to stay married to him, she was pissed. Only a loser and a huge control freak had to threaten his wife to keep her. She knew she was always right about him being just like their father. Hopefully, Veronica can prevail.

"Usually I'd scold you for talking about my husband like that, but you're right. He's a blackmailing piece of—"

"Something happened while you were gone. Our father's prison was compromised."

"What?"

"The town was flooded with convicts wreaking havoc and mayhem. Hit hardest was Riverdale High. We're back to remote learning for at least three weeks."

"Oh, my God!" Veronica closes the box. "I have to call Archie."

Mickey's phone makes a sound and she pulls it out to see an emergent text from Tabitha. "Uh, Vee, can we take a raincheck for dinner tonight? I have to handle something."

"Sure."

"Clearly you didn't handcuff him tight enough."

Tabitha pouts, "Look, I don't need the 'I told you so.' I feel bad enough." Jughead's missing and there's blood all over the bunker where she left him. "I was just doing what you asked by watching over him."

"We have to call Sheriff Keller," Mickey takes out her phone only to have it snatched by Tabitha, "What the hell?"

"We can't call the cops. Jughead will get in trouble for using drugs and I'll get in trouble for making sauce out of the shrooms at the diner. If my grandfather finds out I made drugs at his diner, he'd never forgive me."