The Sweet Hereafter

"Oh, I understand

"Oh, I understand. I understand that something I did out-out of love, you did based on anger."

Mickey can't stop tapping her fingers against the table at Pop's. She's never felt nervous around Jughead, but something big has happened between them. It's more of a happy nervous though.

Jughead walks into the diner and makes a beeline toward her table. The sun has just risen and they're going to have to go to school after this, but he needed to see her. They have to talk.

"Hi," she says delightfully.

"Hi," Jughead slides into the seat across from her. "Things have been so hectic and we haven't had any time to talk."

Hopefully, things are going to start simmering down.

After the USB was turned in, everything was supposed to go back to normal. Then Mustang's death was connected to Clifford Blossom as some sort of cover up and it was revealed Clifford tried to implicate Hiram for everything bad happening in town. Clifford hung himself in the barn where he kept all of his trafficked drugs.

Mickey still can't get over that her father is going to be back sooner rather than later. He'll be back in their lives and in Riverdale by the end of the month.

"Trust me, this town is far from perfect."

Those were Jughead's words from the very first night Mickey met him. He was so right.

"How's FP?" Mickey asks. "What happened this morning?" She knows he's still in jail. He might not have killed anyone, but he's guilty on so many other fronts.

Jughead pulls his thumb from his mouth and announces, "That's not why I wanted to talk to you before school, Mickey."

She places her hands over his with an ear-to-ear smile. "I know. Things have been happening left and right and we never talked about what happened the other night."

"No. Mickey," he deadpans. "I'm talking about the pills and the drinking."

"What are you talking about?" she pretends. She pulls her hands away from his and sits back in her seat.

"Joaquin told Kevin before he left and Kevin told me."

"What did they say exactly?"

"That you have a problem. That—"

She interjects, "Joaquin has no idea what he's talking about. He saw me drinking once at your party." She keeps her eyes on the table.

"So he's lying? Those aren't the issues you told me about? Look at me," he insists.

She looks him in the eye. "I have it under control. I haven't been drinking or taking those pills."

"Have you told anyone? When did this even start?"