Silent Night, Deadly Night

"I brought cookies!"

Veronica finishes wrapping tinsel around the Christmas tree. She looks down at her sister sitting down next to the tree, pouting. "Brighten up. This is your second favorite time of year."

Mickey stops hanging ornaments. "I need to tell you something. I—"

Veronica interrupts her by taking a whiff of the aroma in the house. "Did you bake another batch of cookies?"

Mickey sighs because she didn't get to finish saying what she wanted. "I ate half of the last batch. Hey, the more the merrier, right?"

"After break, you're cut off from sugar," she points her manicured index finger at Mickey. "What did you want to tell me?"

Mickey is interrupted again by a knock on their front door.

Veronica jumps excitedly. "Betty's here!"

"Great," Mickey mutters less-enthusiastically.

"Can you let Betty in while I get the rest of the presents?" Without waiting for an answer, Veronica skips to her bedroom.

Mickey hasn't spoken to Betty since the night on the Southside—the night Mickey slapped her. "Hi, Betty."

Betty stands in front of her and nods politely as a greeting. "Where's Vee?"

"I'm here!" Veronica calls from the dining room.

The two of them follow Veronica's voice to the dining room to see the table covered with gifts. "Did you take these from my room too?" Mickey notices the gifts she wrapped last night.

"I just want to see everything laid out," Veronica shrugs. "Why do you two look like that?"

"Like what?"

"Every time you two are in close vicinity, you look like this," she gestures between her sister and best friend. "What's going on?"

"Kevin's Secret Santa had a strict twenty dollar limit, Vee," Betty changes the subject smoothly.

"Kevin needs to relax," Veronica waves that suggestion off. "Also, these aren't just for Secret Santa, obvi. I got an Hermes scarf for my Mom, a leather passport case for my Dad, now that he can travel again, and a little something for my best girl."

Mickey inquires, "And me?"

Veronica picks up a gift box and smirks, "Of course I got something for my favorite sister."