Folk Heroes

✿

Knock, knock, knock.

Jughead looks up from the book he's reading to see Mickey standing between the doorframe of the newspaper room. "H-hey. What're you doing here so late?"

Mickey enters the room, making a beeline for his desk and sitting in the chair opposite of him. "I thought I'd find you here and decided to check on you."

"I'm just trying to find some way to fight against Percival."

"Find anything useful?" she gestures to the many books laid open on the desk top.

"I've been reading this parapsychology book, and some of the scientists think that you can actually resist mind control through something called an emotional anchor. It essentially acts as a tether, connecting you to what you feel like your core identity is. And as long as you stay connected to whatever that thing is, Percival can't get a grasp on you."

A flicker of curiosity flashes through her eyes. "Ok, so what's your anchor?"

His eyes bore into hers for a moment too long. He's not sure if he wants to reveal that or not.

Why does he have to look at me like that, she thinks. Mickey's eyes avert to the two unbuttoned buttons at the top of his shirt and she notices his chest tattoo. And why does he have to look so sexy doing it?

"Thank you," he grins.

"For what?"

"Your thoughts."

The color drains from her face, totally forgetting about his new ability. "You can't do that! Those are private, Jug!"

He covers his mouth when he starts to laugh. "I'm sorry!" he gets out ironically. "I am! But I can't control it completely yet. I don't mean to slip in and out like that."

Her mouth twists. "Fine. What else have you heard?"

"A little bit of this and a little bit of that." He's purposefully being vague.

"It's not fair because I can't read your mind."

"There's nothing interesting up there."

"I doubt that," Mickey rises from her seat. "I bet your thoughts would get you in all types of trouble."

"Where are you going?"

"I'm getting out of here before my thoughts get me in trouble."

"I like this color!" Mickey picks out the blue polish and unscrews the top. Her knees are up to her chest and she's leaning over them to begin painting her toes.

Tabitha stands in front of Mickey's fireplace with her pajamas on. Tonight was supposed to be a relaxed spa night for them, but she can't stop thinking about her conversation with Percival. "How can you focus on polish when I'm in a crisis?"