Men of Honor

✿

"There it is!" Veronica points to the skyline that is in clear view from the highway, meaning they're going to arrive soon.

"The Big Apple," Jughead breathes out. "The city that never sleeps." A couple days ago, Jughead agreed to a duel with Bret, but he came to realize he doesn't care about having the honor that Stonies say they have. They're the same people who packed up like wolves, gave him the cold shoulder, and hung a dead snake on his wall—and that's just in the past two days. They have no idea what honor is, and that's not the type of person he wants to be. Now, he's joining the Lodges on a trip to New York City for the weekend.

Mickey made sure to arrange a separate car for her parents, who also decided to join her and Veronica on this trip. Their father apparently had business meetings he's been putting off and their mother wants to catch up with some old friends. Mickey really doesn't mind because the city is large enough for them to never run into each others' paths.

"Mickey, do you have everything you need for your campus tour tomorrow?" Veronica asks.

"Everything except a clue about what I'm going to wear." She sighs, "I don't want to look too stand-offish, but I don't want to blend in."

Jughead places his hand on her knee, "You'll stand out. You girls always do."

"I have to face Barnard all by myself," Veronica pouts. "You're lucky. At least you'll have Jughead close to you. Now and in the Fall."

"If he's not too occupied at Yale," Mickey says before looking out the window to watch the passing cars.

Veronica looks to Jughead, who just shrugs. There's clearly something going on between them, but she doesn't say anything. She just takes a sip of her champagne.

On Saturday night, at the end of Mickey's campus tour, Jughead stands on the side as she does what she does best—socialize. He's in awe of how easily she found her stride in a new place.

One of the other incoming freshmen that Mickey has met today asks, "Are you sure you can't stay in the dorms? There's going to be an awesome party."

"Probably more than one on this campus," a guy adds enthusiastically.

Mickey says, "I wish, but there will be plenty more this Fall. I have plans with my boyfriend tonight and a hotel room." She wasn't going to force Jughead to go to a college party. He's been a good sport during the entire tour, holding her hand when she needed him and letting her go when she needed. "I have you guys' phone numbers, so I'll be in touch. We'll cross paths again."