Destroyer

✿

"Thanks for letting me stay here, Mick."

Mickey puts a plate of eggs and bacon in front of him. "You're family, Fogarty. Stop thanking me." She gave Fangs the spare room in her apartment so he doesn't have to run into Kevin at their place. Kevin's in the process of moving, and when he does, Fangs will go back home.

Fangs picks up his fork, but he just plays with his food. A sigh escapes his lips. "My heart feels like it's weighing on my chest. How could he do this to me? To us?"

"I don't know," she answers truthfully.

"He bombed our relationship. All he could say was he's messed up and something's not right with him." Fangs' eyebrow draw together in a frown, "He's damn right he messed up! He pushed for the open relationship, the marriage, the family—and then he just left."

"Do you think he just needs some time to adjust to the changes?"

"He's never been all in," he says sadly. "He's ashamed of being gay. He goes into the woods to hook up with strangers because he can't commit."

Mickey goes to stand behind a seated Fangs and hugs his shoulder from behind. "I'm sorry you're going through this. Maybe you guys should talk before things are final."

"The Bulldogs lost another game," Veronica says as soon as she steps foot into Mickey's empty classroom.

Mickey looks up from the homework assignments that her kids handed in last period. She smirks at her sister, "Yeah, I heard the team sucks."

"You haven't gone to any of the games? Mick!" she chides.

"No one goes to the games," Mickey defends herself. When Veronica sits on the edge of her desk, Mickey takes a piece of her brownie.

"We have to motivate the town to support the Bulldogs."

"'We?'"

Veronica sticks out her bottom lip and flutters her lashes. "I know you are more acquainted with Tabitha Tate than I am, so can you pretty please ask her for a favor?"

"You're not allowed to do that."

Mickey remains behind the counter at Pop's. "Are you forgetting I used to work here? I used to own this place."

Tabitha rolls her eyes playfully, "And now I own the place. My place, my rules."

"So what? You're gonna punish me?" She places a hand on top of Tabitha's shoulder. "Come on. I'm here to see you. Doesn't that make your day a little better?"

She lifts one shoulder in a shrug.

"I need a teensy little favor. How do you feel about Pop's hosting a pancake breakfast so that folks can mix and mingle with the new and improved Riverdale Bulldogs?"

"I never expected you to have school prep."

"I'm a teacher now. It's my job."

Tabitha says, "Well, your idea sounds fun. And if it brings in warm bodies, then great."

"Amazing! And what if, hypothetically, Pop's became the official sponsor of the Bulldogs?" Mickey knows she's pushing it, but she's hoping her charm works for her.

"Let's give it a shot. I like supporting underdogs. I will express order the pancake mix and the syrup."

"Don't order the syrup. Cheryl Blossom will supply that." Mickey moves from behind the counter and smiles triumphantly.

Tabitha notices and points at her, "This is the second favor I'm doing for you, Lodge. When do I get to cash in my favors?"

"You scratch my back and I have to scratch yours, huh?"

"Something like that."

The next day, Jughead leans on Mickey's desk as she goes over one of their shared student's writing assignment.

"I must admit, it is a bit disturbing," Mickey slides the paper back over to him.

"It's vivid and intense," he describes. "Mick, a kid is held captive by mole people. Only to escape and be abducted by a family of mothmen who operate on him in a spaceship. Doesn't it ring any alarm bells for you?"

Mickey leans back in her seat, "But the child survives. He's found on the side of the highway."

"What do we know about Lerman?"

"Well, he's a good student, average grades."

"Is there any trouble at home?"

Mickey tells him, "I got his records from the office. He has sustained a substantial number of injuries. A broken arm, a black eye, and he was on crutches for a while." She looks at him to see the wheels turning in his head, "I know what you're thinking, Jug, but don't make a big deal out of this. Don't start obsessing."

"So what? He's just accident prone?" Jughead shakes his head. "And then what about this story? What if he's experienced trauma?"

"Some kids get hurt a lot. And, yes...sometimes a story is just a story." She says, "Jug, you've got this look in your eye. Don't do anything that will get you in trouble."

"I won't. I'm taking this to Waldo."