The Blackboard Jungle

"Are you clear on how you feel about Jughead?"

"Girls," Hermione's voice carries from the hall, "do you have a minute?" Her and Hiram walk into Veronica's bedroom.

"Just checking in. See how you're feeling about things," Hiram tells them.

Veronica stops looking in her full-length mirror and puts her hand on her hip when she faces their parents. "Checking in to make sure we're still on board with the quote unquote plan? Don't worry, I am."

Hiram looks at his other daughter. "Mickey?"

Mickey has sat next to Veronica and kept her mouth shut. They've watched their parents have meetings with Mayor McCoy every few days to iron out their deal in regards to Southside High. She doesn't plan on opposing now. "You guys worry too much," Mickey says as she pulls the strap of her bag on to her shoulder.

"I still feel like Mickey would've made the transition easier. The Serpents like her," Veronica comments.

Neither of adults say anything and the feeling s of ease slips out of the room.

Mickey breaks the silence. "Oh, Veronica, don't you know? They're trying to keep me as far away from the Serpents as possible."

"Well then shutting down Southside High wasn't the way to do it," she chuckles.

Hiram clears his throat. "They are your classmates now. That's all it should be."

"Is that hostility I'm hearing?" Mickey folds her arms over her chest. "I thought we were over that."

"You're gonna be at ground-zero," Hermione puts the conversation back on track.

"Yeah, 'in the eye of the potential hurricane,'" Mickey mimics her father's words from last night.

"That's what you said when I wanted to go shopping in SoHo during Occupy Wall Street, and I was fine." If Veronica's skills match her confidence right now, this transition will be smooth. "Dad. Mom. Trust us to keep our classmates from revolting when the news breaks. And they'll be none the wiser," she assures.

Mickey just stepped into the hallway when she sees Veronica and Archie. She catches up to them and their conversation stops. "What are we talking about?"

Veronica wraps an arm around Mickey's as the three of them walk down the hall. "Mr. Andrews isn't happy about the donation."

"I didn't say that," Archie sighs. "It's...complicated."

Mickey raises an eyebrow at him. "Your Dad's mad at us? It wasn't easy convincing our parents to—"

"It's nothing," he insists. "Thank you. Both of you."