79

i think I forgot to update. But it's summer, get a life. Or don't I dont have one anyway.

As soon as the band had left the airport, the familiar pickup truck pulled up in the airport parking lot. Lance wasted no time running over and climbing in, the other three climbing much slower. But they all had one thing in common; they were all dreading the event that they all expected later in the day. 

Carlos quiet regarded the paladins, a faint yet masked smile splayed across his lips. But it only took a glance in Lance's direction for his mask to shatter and be replaced by a desperately lost expression. Carlos silently began the drive towards their next destination. The air was so thick inside the car, not even a knife could cut it. Lance's hands trembled endlessly and his teeth sank into his lips to prevent himself from busting into tears. He took deep, ragged breathes in s failing attempt to calm himself and prevent an upcoming panic attack. 

Keith could only keep his gaze low, being unfortunate enough to sit in the middle of the back. He could peer over the front seat to look as Lance's collapsed self but he didn't want to look. Looking at Lance was the exact same as torturing himself. So he looked down to his fingers which fidgeted nervously in his lap as he impatiently waited to pull up at the dreaded place. 

Lance's eyes warily lifted as the truck continued past the usual turning point for the hospital. Before he could make a comment, before he could hope it was some terrible practical joke just to get him come, Carlos spoke in a monotonous tone, "There's a night nurse at home. So Benji can... pass at home."

All of Lance's remaining hope slipped down the drain, his dull eyes once again casting down as his eyelids fluttered shut. He could taste the metallic flavor of his own blood pool in his mouth but his sorrow overpowered and practically hummed the physical pain. All he did was clench his eyes shut and will himself to not let any tears spill.

As the truck pulled up to the aged detached house, Lance wasted no time climbing out and rushing towards him home. The land was quiet, even the dog who usually bounded out to greet Lance when he visited seemed to be taking a moment of silence. Lance rushed inside, sprinting through the house and straight up the stairs. He followed a soft and repetitive beeping sound, one that which each beep make Lance's heart sink lower, and lower, and lower, and lower.

Lance was hesitant to open the door, but as he heard approaching footsteps behind him he slowly twisted the knob and edged the door open. The door was only slightly ajar but it was all Lance needed to peek inside and take a look at his little brother. Broken. If there was one word to describe the air, his little brother, Lance's heart and the whole scenario it could only be broken.

Lance stepped inside causing everyone's gazes to turn from the twig-like boy in bed to the more meaty boy who could only stare in disbelief. Benji's pale lips curled up in the slightest at the sight of his older brother. His empty eyes glistened and his whole body seemed to sag in relief. Lance shuffled closer to Benji, who's smile never wavered. Lance, however, couldn't bring himself to smile. All he could do was walk over and kneel by Benji's beside, avoiding the monitor and bedstand that held various bottles of medication that Lance decided to ignore. 

The other paladins stepped inside, their own lips pulled hopelessly into small smiles as they approached Benji. Nobody had the courage to speak but thankfully Hunk forced his own words out. 

"Long time no see, eh buddy?"

Benji's eyes cast up to Hunk and with a deep breath he spoke. "Yeah. How've... you been?" Benji took a moment to breath between words causing worry to bubble in Lance's stomach. 

"All good," Pidge cut in with a sad smile. "We've been to lots of places. Though here is the best spot, I have to admit." Benji smiles as the other paladins agree softly.