86

Keith and the band stood quietly beneath the stage, a set of dark stairs before them which lead the the stage where they would stand in a few seconds. Keith was practically frozen in shock as Lance, Hunk and Pidge chatted excitedly by his side. Hunk noted his uneasiness, clamping his hand over Keith's shoulder softly. 

"Don't worry Keith, it's more relaxing than you think being on stage. Well, not relaxing, less scary and more fun!" Hunk tried to calm Keith down but Keith only weakly smile. Hunk frowned, throwing an arm over Keith's shoulder and beaming brightly. 

"Look on the bright side Keith, you've actually gotten far enough to go on stage. Wasn't that your dream?" Hunk spoke encouragingly. 

"I guess," Keith began twiddling his thumbs, "But I never imagined it to see this scary."

Hunk chuckled, uncoiling his arm around Keith's shoulder before stretching his arms over his head. A stage hand scurried over, connecting a head set to each member of the band. The headsets were strange devices that held a mic out in front of their mouths. Another device was much like a hearing aid or an earplug but the stage hand explained that it simply helped them hear the music. 

Lance stood, completely relaxed with his arms folded smugly over his chest and his chin held high. He looked around carelessly at the rushing stage hand. Despite the speed they moved at, the staff behind the scenes were surprisingly calm. It put the band slightly more at ease but they were all quite nervous nonetheless. Lance especially nervous despite his calm facade. What if his voice broke on stage? That would be humiliating and it would be recorded and be on every TV show in existence. He could already imagine the humiliation... But his good looks and charm would save him. He would be able to play it off coolly.

Pidge rocked back and forward on her feet, her hands tucked behind her back while she hummed softly. It was a faint and unrecognized tune but still a calming one. Pidge smiled to herself as she thought back to past concerts. The band hadn't attending a concert in a while despite their fame. She was quite nervous yet excited at the same time. She could come up with a name for that, maybe nervous and excited smushed together? Excervous? That sounds like a disease... Nervousited? That sounds... less like a disease.

Hunk ran over how to play drums in his head. He completely forgot how to drum despite his whole career revolving that single talent. His brain wracked for the memory of the songs he had orchestrated and learned off by heart but still he couldn't remember. He let out a whine and glanced around the the scrambling crew before returning to his useless thinking. Perhaps he would randomly remember when he's sitting before his drum kit? That usually works.

And Keith twiddled his thumbs anxiously. There were so many things he would prefer to be doing right now. Sitting down in front of his old TV that he spent way too much money on for Shiro's birthday, eating one of him omelettes, heck, he would prefer to be eating soup (which he hated) just so he wouldn't have to be the nervous wreck he was right now.

As crowds of people of all ages and sized cheered and chanted outside Keith only drew more nervous while Lance grew more excited. Lance's eyes shone brighter with joy every time their name was called while Keith shrank back and frowned every time he heard their forsaken name. Suddenly, music began to play deafeningly loud causing Keith, Pidge and Hunk to all flinch while Lance seemed quite fine from the sudden noise. The cheering only grew louder as screens, illuminated with videos the band had recorded at previous times, began moving and shifting on stage. The band gawked through the gap they were just able to peer through at the moving screens. 

"That's cool." Lance spoke with a wide grin. 

"Cool? That's frrr~eeking awesome!" Pidge giggled excitedly, her fingers coiling around Lance's upper arm. 

"Yeah, I gotta admit I've never seen anything so crazy. You know the economy is hell and country are poverty and war stricken but yeah this is neat." Keith hummed almost silently but miraculously the others were able to hear him. Perhaps he wasn't speaking as quietly as he thought he was.

They stared at him, almost as astonished as they were when they saw the moving screen. Lance and Pidge laughed nervously while Hunk simply gaped at Keith. Lance reached over to pat Keith's shoulder before his hand rested in that position. 

"I'm so glad we decided to invite you to be in the band." Lance jeered loudly to speak over the crowd. 

Pidge snickered, "Yep, no better an optimist." She yelled.

Hunk laughed, his laugh inaudible but his words heard clearly. "I've never met anyone happier!" 

A large stage hand approaches, yelling over the conundrum of the fans in the audience. ""You're on in ten!"

"Minutes?!" Keith yelled in question.

"Seconds!" The stage hand replied loudly. Keith almost fainted, he hadn't had time to calm himself down. He'd probably end up having an existential crises on stage! "Your mics have been switched on!"

Keith was about to yell out in panic before the man's words actually registered. He slapped his mouth shut again causing it to emit a popping noise. Pidge let out a silent snicker at the noise before she returned her attention to the man who held his hand out, five fingers up. Keith only stared in confusion before he took down a finger revealing four, then three and then- OH MY GOD HE'S COUNTING DOWN!

His mouth moved as eh continued to count down,"Three, two, one!" He then jerked his hand and waved them towards the stairs that lead onto the stage. Pidge was first to hurry on stage, Hunk quick to follow on. Lance glanced to Keith who's face was paralyzed in terror.Lance flashed a comforting smile and laced their fingers together as he made his way onto the stage while mouthing something to Keith. Keith couldn't make out what Lance was saying but he figured it was something comforting which caused a wave of something similar to tranquility to pass through him. He squeezed Lance's hand, suddenly brave enough to go onto the stage. He followed Lance onto the steps and soon Lance was on stage, doing weird jumps and gestures as the crowd hollered. Wow, people payed to see that? Keith exhaled deeply, his legs suddenly feeling like jelly as he made his way up onto the stage. 

He took one last breath, taking a moment to just think to himself. Of course these thoughts all hit him overwhelmingly fast causing him to stumble out onto the stage platform.

Where's Shiro right now?

I wonder if my parents are proud?

Did I leave fifty dollars under my mattress at home? Damn I did, I could have wasted- I mean spent that!

But as the crowd erupted in screams and yells as Keith emerged he figured he could think about all of this later as he cried himself to sleep. He had his career to focus on now.

Wrapping up, wrapping up, wrapping up.

I think we might be finished sooner than expected >o> What will I do then?

-Patty '3'