29

Just finished watching Dear Evan Hansen... I have never cried so much in my existence.

Lance held Keith tightly in his arms as he began to speak. Shakily at first but eventually calmed down.

"My dad died when I was six. We always sang together. We were the real cliche, perfect family. I guess all good things were never made to last. A week after my sixth birthday he was diagnosed with stage 3 liver cancer. I decided to sell all of my toys, my bike, my cat, all to try help my father while we could. But we couldn't afford it, and it eventually developed into the next stage. We were too late... He was given less than a year with the conditions we were living in. A small cabin wasn't enough and we were so late getting treatment...

"His funeral was too expensive. All we could afford was to have a burial ceremony. And we didn't have much people to invite anyway except for workmates. My parents were left by their family, running away together while my mom was pregnant. So when my mother fell into debt nobody helped. She slowly suffered, feeding me before herself making her ill. She was too weak to work so I had to cook, clean, do everything. Eventually, when I was around seven and a half, I stopped attending school. We often got calls and messages from my school, but I ignored them to help my mom." Keith stopped to let out a single, dry sob. Lance squeezed his hand and began to rub circular designs into his arm for comfort. Keith sighed and began again. 

"I never learned what illness my mom had. All i knew was her heart stopped while she was in my arms. She told me I should go out and collect her some new flowers because the flowers in her vase began to wilt. I wanted to do anything for her, so I ran into the meadow near our house and picked the best flowers. But when I came home my mother was clutching a chair and her stomach in the dining room. I was only seven, I didn't know what happened. I just said Mom. She looked up at me weakly, barely breathing out my name. She then fell to the floor, knocking over the chair and fruit bowl in the process. 

*****

"Mom! Mom! Momma, what are you doing?"

"K-eith" Mom said weakly, reaching out to me.

"Mom! I'll call a doctor! I'll call someone, 944!"

"911, Keith..."

"O-Okay!"

I grabbed the house phone, pressing the three numbers into the phone. Nobody came up, the phone beeping and saying something. I couldn't read it through my tears but I saw a red bar. I tried to hit it to make it work but Mom called me. I crawled over to her, crying unstoppable tears.

"Keith,Keith my son. Don't cry, I'm only going to sleep." 

"When will you wake up? Are you going to see dad?" 

Mom looked up, smiling weakly. "Keith, eventually everyone going into a very long sleep called Death. We call asleep into Death and our heart sleeps too. Some day you'll fall into this sleep, but in a very,very long time. Don't worry. Your father is in this sleep too. He's waiting! He's waiting for me in this dream land that you go to called heaven!".

"But Mom! I want to go with you! Let me come with you!" I cried.

"You can't Keith. You have to be in the sleep, you have to die to go to heaven. It's a lovely place in the sky. Up past the big building and into the clouds. But you can't be awake."

I gasped and nodded, understanding her. "B-But Mom... why are you doing to die? Why can't someone else? Why do my parents die?! Why do you- the best people I know... you're the best Momma... but why are you going?" I cried even more, pulling my Mom's head onto my lap.