5

After a few hours, people began to flood back inside. Keith and Lance waited together until everyone was here. Lance told him when everyone got inside, Keith then locking up and sitting alone. Keith had sleeping problems. Shiro always told him to go see a doctor about his insomnia but he always refused. So now Keith sat on an armchair in the staff kitchen alone, waiting for the time to pass. He knew he wouldn't be able to sleep tonight, he was uncomfortable and cold. Even if he had a warm bed he still wouldn't be able to sleep.

He began to hum the song he and Lance had sang together earlier, the Ed Sheeran song planted in his mind. Soon enough he heard a knock on the door and a soft voice.

"Keith? You in there?" They whispered, slowly turning the handle.

"Lance?" Keith mumbled, straining his pupils to try see in the dark. He had left the light off, hoping it would help him sleep.

"I uh- I can't sleep. Mind if I stay I'm here?" He asked, closing the door behind him and holding his hands out. He groped the air, trying to find his way around the dark room.

"Sure, I don't mind. But it's not any warmer than in there." Keith said, standing up and taking Lance's hand to lead him to another seat. Both boys blushed, though neither saw through the thick darkness.

After Lance sat down the two were silent, that is until Lance broke the silence.

"Where did you learn to play?" He asked, turning to face Keith. It didn't make a difference but Keith turn too anyway.

"My father taught me." Keith replied shortly, fidgeting with his fingers.

"Do you live with your parents?" Lance continued, oblivious to the amount of pain it caused the raven haired boy.

"Well... my parents aren't alive." Keith muttered, holding back tears that threatened to fall.

"Oh, sorry..." Lance mumbled awkwardly.

"No, it's fine. You didn't know."

The two once again were quiet, the only sound other than silence was the quiet chatter coming from the other room.

"Why did you leave the other room?" Keith asked Lance. He could tell Lance was uncomfortable with the question, but he answered either way. More like stuttered.

"Well, you see- I- um-... to be honest with you, I... I get lonely at night. I miss my family back home so I get quite anxious at night thinking about them. Well, I'm always anxious but I get tired and grumpy at night and I guess my mask falters and tend to notice I'm upset. But when I sang with you... the anxiousness went away and I really enjoyed spending time with you... so I guess I hoped that coming here would get me away from people but hopefully help me sleep..."

Keith was silent, speechless after Lance's confession. He didn't know what to say which made the situation bad for them both.

"Sorry... if I made this awkward." Lance muttered.

"Not at all!" Keith jumped, straining his eyes to try make out Lance's face. And when he did all he could make out was his eyes, eyes full of hurt. "I actually really liked singing with you too. In fact I haven't sang with anyone, or sang at all since my parents died. I for some reason feel really comfortable with you."

Lance's eyes lit up, him lunging towards Keith who sat across from him.

"Keith." Lance had his hands on Keith's knees, start into the shorter boy's eyes. "Join my band. Join us. We'll be like a family! A-and Shiro can come along too, we can sing together!" Lance's stuttered slightly.

Keith was flabbergasted, not knowing what to say. Heck, there's only one thing to say!

"Sorry Lance, but..."