58. Meeting the parents

DAN’S P.O.V.

“DAN WHERE THE FUCK IS MY FUCKING BLACK SKIRT?!”

I woke up suddenly and looked around. There were clothes all across the room and Ally was pacing around the room, throwing items of clothing everywhere.

“Al, chill out. It’s probably still in your case.” I rubbed my eyes and slowly got out of bed. I moved her out of the way and sat her down on the bed and then sat on the floor amongst the clothes on the floor and calmly searched through her suitcase to find the skirt that she had been looking for.

“Thank you.” She smiled as I held it in the air for her.

“Stop stressing!”

“I’m sorry, I’m just nervous! Meeting your parents is a massive deal. What if they don’t like me? What if they hate me? Oh my god, they’re going to hate me!” She put her head in her hands panicked.

“Al, they will love you, it’s fine.” I crawled over to the bed and poked my face under hers, making her giggle.

“You’re such a goon.” She leant down and kissed me.

“You love me though, so it’s fine.” I grinned up at her

“You’re alright, I guess. But seriously is this okay?” She stood up and put the skirt on and straightened out her top. I looked her up and down and couldn’t stop smiling thinking how lucky I am to have such a beautiful, amazing girl.

“You look stunning, as usual. And my parents will love you, trust me. I’m going for a shower, be ready to leave in 15 minutes.”

I had called my mum yesterday and, as expected, she broke down. To calm her down I agreed to go and visit her today and she also asked to meet Ally too. When I asked Ally if she would come with me she was originally really happy but now she was just running around like a nervous wreck.

........

I held Ally’s hand tightly as we got off the tube towards my parents’ house in south London. Now it was me that was a nervous wreck. I’ve seen the house that Ally grew up in and it was huge and amazing. I hope she doesn’t have any high expectations. We weren’t exactly the most well off family and even though my parents' house is nice, it’s no mansion.

As we walked up the path my heart began to beat faster. Acknowledging my nervousness, Ally squeezed my hand to comfort me. I knocked on the door and seconds later my mum was stood there with a massive grin on her face.

“Daaaan.” She held me close, kissing my cheek constantly. “And Ally!” Mum pushed me to the side and ran up to Ally and hugged her tightly too.

“Hi, lovely to meet you.” Ally said during the hug.

“She’s beautiful, Dan! You did well.” Mum poked me in the stomach as she walked back into the house, leaving Ally stood there awkwardly giggling.

“She’s right.” I shrugged, grabbing Ally’s hand and leading her through to the living room where my dad was sat in his armchair with his glasses on and newspaper in his hand.

“Alright, son.” He said, not looking up from the paper.

“Hi Dad. This is Ally.” I said as the two of us stood at the door.

He peered up and gave her a quick smile. “Hi Ally.”

“Hi.” She replied, giving me a questioning look as if to say ‘why is your dad being so cold?’ Truth is he was the sort of guy where nothing was really good enough. When I was a kid, if I got an A at school that wasn't good enough, it could have been an A*. In my adult life with the band, we manage to somehow get a single charting at number 2, which in his eyes could have been a number 1. I barely saw him smile when he heard the news that we got a number 1 album. To make matters worse, my mum had clearly filled him in on my recent activities, meaning he was hardly acting the proud father right now.