23. Truths out

ALLY’S P.O.V.

I left the flat and walked out onto the street, tears falling down my cheeks. I can’t believe she got that angry that she threw me out. I really didn’t expect this to happen. I can’t believe I let a guy get in between us.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and called the only person that I wanted to see right now, Dan.

“Hey, you alright?”

“No, Dan. Can I come round?”

“Yeah of course you can, the boys are all on an evening shift so it’s fine.” I sighed. It didn’t matter if they weren’t on an evening shift they were about to find out about us anyway.

“Al, are you okay it sounds like you’ve been crying?”

“Yeah I have. Kaley found out about us and threw me out of the flat. I just need to see you.”

“Okay, tell me about it in a minute then?”

“Yeah I will, see you in a bit.”

I said bye to Dan and began walking towards his flat. As soon as he opened the door I flung myself into his arms, in floods of tears now. He picked me up and took me to the sofa, comforting me. I tried to calm myself down and began telling him everything that had just happened with Kaley.

“Dan I’m sorry….” I ended on.

“No.. I’m weirdly happy, and you should be too. I know this is what I want, so if you want the same thing we can stop keeping this thing we have a secret. We’re not teenagers, we don’t need to act like them anymore.”

I hugged him tightly, wiping tears from my eyes. “Okay. Is this what you want? I mean look at me, I’m a mess Dan.”

He stopped me there and kissed me gently. “Yes, it’s what I want, okay. And Kaley will get over it, I’m sure. Just give her time. Go back tomorrow and try again.” I knew he was right, Kaley wasn’t exactly one to hold a grudge.

I excused myself and went to the bathroom, wiping the mascara from under my eyes. I pulled out my phone and called Kaley, knowing she wouldn’t pick up but leaving her a voicemail to listen to for when she had calmed down.

“Hi Kaley, it’s me. I’ve come to Dan’s. And I’m telling you this because I don’t want to go behind your back anymore. I love you too much to let this come between us, you’re my best friend and always been there for me and I’m sorry that I’ve messed up. I want to make everything right now, Kaley. I know you might not call me back tonight but I hope you do, I want to speak to you. If not I will see you tomorrow. Night Kay.” I hung up the phone and went back to Dan and snuggled into him.

“When does Adam finish work?” I asked.

“He’s on evening so maybe not until midnight. It depends when the last customers come into the restaurant.”

“Okay, I will speak to him tomorrow morning then.”

“Yeah that’s fine, Kaley won’t speak to him don’t worry about it… Are you hungry?”

I suddenly remembered about the lasagne I had spent ages making and got hungry and so nodded. Dan got up and went to the kitchen, ten minutes later he came back with a bowl of pasta in each hand. “Sorry it’s nothing exciting, hardly got any food in this house.”

“No, it’s fine, thank you.” I smiled and took one of the bowls from him and we sat there eating the pasta, not saying much but focusing on watching the news.

I was watching intently about all of the flooding that was going on at the moment and it made me think. Why am I being such a drama queen about a fall out with my best friend when people are losing their houses, cars and all of their belongings? A bit deep and emotional, I know, but it’s so true.

After we ate, Dan held his arm up and I leaned into him, laying down with my head on his lap. He started to play with my hair and I felt my eyes become heavy and fell into a deep sleep.

……..

When I opened my eyes, I was in Dan’s room. He obviously moved me in here last night when I fell asleep. I turned around, expecting to feel him in the bed next to me, but I felt nothing. I looked at the time and it was 7am. Surely he wasn’t up already?

I walked down the hallway and found him asleep on the sofa with a blanket around him. I smiled gently and turned around to go back to his room.

“Wait.” He said. I turned back to look at him and he was reaching for his glasses. I walked over to the sofa and sat on the end.

“How come you’re in here?” I whispered to him.

“Oh you fell asleep so I moved you to the bed and then I thought I would sleep out here. Just until we speak to Adam, I thought it would be weird.”

“Ah okay.” I said nodding. “Did you see him last night?”

“Yeah I was still up when he came in. I said you had come round cause you had a fight with Kaley and were in my room so he knows you’re here too.”

“Okay cool, I’m gunna try and sleep some more I think. We can swap if you want? You can have the bed if you want and I could sleep out here?”

“Don’t be stupid, go back to the bedroom.” He leant over and kissed my forehead and I got up and returned to his room. I felt so guilty making him sleep on the sofa. Then I remembered I had way more to feel guilty about than him sleeping on a sofa.

ADAM’S P.O.V.

I got back from work last night and I saw Dan in the living room, wrapped in a blanket and about to go to sleep. He said something about Ally being in his room and her and Kaley falling out so he was in here. Oh no I hope they hadn’t argued about me.

I trudged to my bedroom and took my clothes off and the minute my head hit the pillow I fell asleep, tired after a busy evening at the restaurant.

……..

When I woke up I heard a bang and voices, it sounded like Ally. I checked the time, 11am. I grabbed a t-shirt and trakkies and made my way to the kitchen, where she was making 2 cups of tea. She turned around and smiled at me. “Want one?”

“Mmm yeah go on then.” I nodded as she reached up and grabbed another mug, making the tea and passing one to me once it was done.

“I’ll be back in a minute.” She said, taking one of the teas to the other room, obviously for Dan, and came back whilst I was putting some bread in the toaster.

“So Dan said you and Kaley argued last night?” I turned to her and she looked upset about it, so I walked over and gave her a little hug. “Whatever it was, don’t worry.. You and Kaley have been through way too much to fall out properly.” I could feel her sighing in my arms and she broke off the hug and looked at me seriously.

“Adam, I don’t want to lie to you.. Nothing’s going to happen between me and you.”

I stopped her before she said any more. “I know. I knew you didn’t feel the same way about me on Sunday.”

“It’s not just that Adam.. I also went out on a date with someone else and I think I really like him. But I wanted to tell you before it became more serious.”

That felt like she just stabbed me in the chest, but I swallowed and listened to her continue. “It’s Dan, Adam. Me and Dan are getting a lot closer and I thought you deserved to know. Kaley, understandably, got angry at me for not telling you or her but I thought I was doing the right thing. Which I now know I wasn’t.”

Dan.. DAN!! What the hell I did not see this coming. I gave her a weak smile. “It’s okay, seriously. If you like him, go for it. There’s nothing more between us.” Thank god at that moment my toast popped up so I had an excuse to walk away. I put some butter on it and went to leave.

“So Adam, you aren’t angry at me lying to you?” She held out a hand and stopped me as I tried to walk out of the kitchen.

Yes Ally, I’m angry and upset as well. My best mate, seriously? But I played it cool. “Na don’t worry, it’s happened and I’m glad you’ve come to me now. I’ve gotta go and.. Umm.. Eat my toast.” I said and quickly got out of the room.