9. Dan Smith, king of awkward

DAN’S P.O.V.

I’ve woken up with the hangover from hell. I don’t remember much from last night, I hate it when that happens. I have flashes of memories. I remember kissing someone, I’m not 100% sure who it was though. This is bad. I also remember crying a lot. This is really bad. And embarrassing.

I felt someone in the bed move next to me. This may be an answer to who I was kissing. I took a deep breath and turned around seeing Kyle lying next to me. Okay, obviously not the answer I was looking for. I was hoping to see Ally. I got up and went to the bathroom and washed my face and took a couple of painkillers. My head was throbbing.

When I got back to my room Kyle was awake but I just got back into bed next to him. I couldn’t face the day yet. “Morning petal” he said rather happily. Why is he always so chirpy in the mornings. And he never gets hungover. So jealous. “Need some filling in from last night?” I looked up at him and nodded, feeling ashamed, covering my head with the duvet.

“Right then where do we start? It was all going well, Ally is a beautiful girl by the way, and then you started dancing with her mate Kaley. Then you started kissing her, was pretty intense actually. And then Ally was kissing Adam, which you then noticed and got all upset over. You saw her in the bathroom and she started shouted at you or something and so you started crying. Actual tears. It was hilarious! And then you passed out in the kitchen and me and Will had to carry you into bed and I thought I might as well join, seeing as Kaley had passed out in her brothers bed after throwing up so you clearly weren't getting any.”

I sighed. What a state. So I got with the wrong girl and let the right girl get with the perfect guy. Good one Dan. Idiot points for you. I lifted  the duvet off my head and looked at Kyle. “Made a mess out of it haven’t I?”

“Yes mate, yes you have. And for that you need to make me a cuppa.” He said pushing me out of bed. I fell on the floor with a bang and shouted.

“Cheers Kyle, working wonders for my headache!” I sighed and got up and headed towards the kitchen, flipping on the switch on the kettle and grabbing two mugs from the cupboard.

“Hey Dan.”

“Ah shit.” I turned around and saw Kaley sat at the counter, how the hell did I not notice her when I walked in? “I didn’t see you there, you scared me. Cuppa?” Please don’t let this be awkward. Please don’t let this be awkward. Of course this is going to be awkward. You’re Dan Smith, king of awkward.

“Um yeah, sure. Tea always goes down a treat with a hangover.” She replied.

I reached into the cupboard, grabbing another mug and putting tea bags in the mugs. “Hungover too then?” I asked her.

“Yeah massively. I woke up with little recollection of last night and no idea where my brother and Ally are.” That felt like she had just stabbed me in the chest. So Adam and Ally had got that intimate that they didn’t even stay here, why am I such an idiot. Oh and the ‘no recollection of last night’ thing. I’m clearly a very memorable kisser. “We’re old enough and mature enough to kind of brush past what happened last night between us, yeah?”

I looked at her in shock. So she did remember, just didn’t want it to happen again. “Uh yeah sure, if that’s what you want.” I smiled at her.

“It was just a drunken kiss, yeah? Happens all the time. Wait, that sounded bad. Not all the time. I’m not a massive slut I promise.” I gave a little laugh and she looked panicked. “You know what I mean anyway.”

The kettle went off and I poured water into the mugs and put milk and sugar into mine and Kyle’s. Kaley came over and poured a little milk into hers and a load of sugars. I looked at her in shock again, how could she be that skinny but put like 5 sugars in her tea. “Whaaaat? I like sugary tea when I’m hungover, shoot me!”

“I said nothing!” I laughed, holding my hands up. “So we’re cool, yeah?” She took a sip of her tea and nodded at me. “I’m gunna take these back to Kyle, but see you in a bit alright? Oh and where did Will and Woody end up do you know?”

“Don’t ask me! I’ve got no clue how I got into bed, let alone where other people slept!” I gave a little laugh and picked up the tea’s and headed to my room, where Kyle was sat there playing on his phone. I swear that man never puts his phone away, he’s constantly playing games on it, and then moaning that the battery is rubbish. It’s like dude, no, you are just always on it you unsociable bastard!

“Mate, where are Woody and Will?” I asked, handing him his mug.

“Oh they went back to Will’s when everyone started going home. They realised they weren’t going to get a bed so took themselves off after putting you to bed and I agreed to look after you.”

“Fair enough.” I took a sip of my tea and burnt my tongue. Really? Just to add insult to injury my head was throbbing, I thought I was going to throw up any moment and now I’ve got a burnt tongue. I put the mug down and lay back down in my bed, sighing thinking of what to do next.