The heart, the star and the smiley face

🎶"Happy Birthday to Isla, Happy Birthday to you" Harry, Michelle and Liz sang as they came into my room. Harry jumped on next to me and handed me a wrapped up box. Michelle was holding a cake and Liz was carrying a gift bag of presents. I sat up and rubbed my eyes.
"Thank you" I said. As they all sat down on my bed. I pulled Harry into a hug and kissed his hug. He handed me the wrapped up present and looked at me.
"This is from me, Michelle helped me pick it out."
"Thank you" I said as I took it from him and began to unwrap it. Inside there was a gift set of perfume, my favourite perfume by DKNY.
"Is it the one you like?" Michelle asked, before putting the cake on my bedside table.
"Yeah" I said, before Liz handed me a present. I unwrapped it and it was a t-shirt.
"Thank you" I said to Liz before Michelle handed me the rest of the bag of presents. Most of them were cards from various family members, most with money inside. Michelle had got me lots of make up and nail varnish. I unwrapped the last present and looked to Michelle.
"There is one last present" Michelle said. She got up from the bed and left the room, then returned pushing a big box wrapped in birthday paper.
"Harry I might need your help with this one" I said as I pushed the duvet off me. He climbed off the bed as well and we both knelt down in front of the present.
"Ready, Steady...Go" Michelle said and we both rushed to open the present. Inside was a cardboard box, just a plain cardboard box. I opened the flaps at the top and look inside, there was a bottle shaped present wrapped up inside. I reached inside and pulled it out, then unwrapped that as well. The bottle was empty. I could see there was something inside, so I took the lid off and turned the bottle upside down. I put my hand at the bottom and out fell, a set of keys.
I looked up to Michelle who was standing behind Harry, with her hands in his shoulders. She smiled at me.
"Is this my flat?" I said, smiling back at her. She bent down still holding onto Harry,
"It's your flat, for both of you" Michelle said, pointing to Harry then me. "Now that you are 18, you are his legal guardian because you were Mum's next of kin, he's legally allowed to live with you." She said still smiling. Harry walked over to me and hugged me.
"Happy birthday Isla" he said in my ear.
"Thank you Harry." I said before he got back up and turned to Michelle.
"Is Zizzi coming?" He asked.
"Yeah, Zizzi is going." She told him.

Later that day, Harry and I had both finished school. We met Michelle back in the pub. I got Zizzi on her lead and we walked over to Victoria court. I put the same code in the door and we went up the stairs to the second floor. We walked along the corridor to number twelve. I took the key out of my pocket and put it in the lock. I turned it and pushed the door, as it was still stiff. The door opened and Harry walked in. I followed him. There was new sofas and the walls had been painted. There was a new kitchen table and flowers on it. A card was lent up against the vase. I walked over to the table and opened it. Harry came and stood next to me.
"Read it to me" he said. We both sat down at the bench of the table.

"Dear Isla, Harry and Zizzi,
Welcome to your new home, we've put new furniture in it and all it needs now is your stuff. You have no idea how proud we all are of you, over the past few years you have amazed us in your ability to overcome everything. This is your reward, for never giving up.

Isla, your mum and dad would be incredibly proud of you and they are watching you. You really do deserve this.

And Harry, even though we have missed so much, we are so proud that you have been through so much and are now such a mature but cheeky boy. Your mum would be so proud that you are home with your sister.

Enjoy your new home,
All our love from
Michelle, Johnny, Kate, Aidan, grandma, grandad and from all the way in the sky, Mummy, Daddy and Liam."

I looked down at Harry, who's head was rested on my arm.
"Have you been to your room yet?" I asked him.
"No" he said, I slid along the bench and got up. He followed me and we walked across the living room and into his room. There was a single bed along the wall with a bedside table and chest of drawers in the corner was a wardrobe and next to that was the window. The furniture was all white. He smiled.
"Do you like it?" I asked him.
"Yeah I love it"
"Isla, I need to get back to the pub, to sort some stuff out, will you come back in a bit" Michelle said, as she put her head round the door. She was smiling at Harry, I knew they were up to something.
"Yeah sure that's fine" I said and she left.
"Shall we go to your room now?" Harry said.
"Yeah" I said. We got up off his bed and went across to my room. I paused outside. Even though this wasn't my same room, because they had changed the modelling and shapes of the flats so we got two bigger bedrooms rather than four small one and more of a living room, it still felt weird. Going into a room that I guess used to be mine. I opened the door and we walked inside. On the bedside table was an envelope and a small box. Harry sat down on my bed next to it. I sat down as well and he handed them to me.
"Michelle says open the present first" he said. I rested the card on my lap and opened up the box. Inside there was a silver necklace with three small charms on it. A star, a heart and a smiling face.
"She said, now open the letter." Harry said, taking the letter from my lap and handing it to me. I put down the box and opened the envelope. I pulled out a sheet of paper that was a handwritten letter. I looked to Harry, who was watching me intently.
"Michelle says read it out loud." He said. I put the envelope done and held the letter in both hands. I took a deep breath.

"Dear Isla,
Happy 18th Birthday, mummy and Daddy are writing this letter for you to open on the 12th of November 2017.

You are 1 week old today. I have just been out to buy a gorgeous necklace for you, daddy looked after you and you were an angel as always. Obviously, you cannot where this necklace now, so we have decided to wait and along with this letter, give these to you on your 18th birthday. Right now, it's hard to imagine you as an 18 month old, let alone an 18 year old. I can't imagine you chubby cheeks not being there or your little baby hairs not all over your face.

Let us explain the necklace, the star on it is because you Isla are our little star and there is nothing in the world that we love more than you. You know when I found out I was pregnant, I was terrified. Daddy said it was gonna be alright and then last week, when you were placed in my arms, I felt like, this is what I was meant to do, that there was nothing in the world that I was better suited to, than to hold you in my arms.

Then the heart, is because, last week, when you were placed in my arms and daddy and I were both looking down at you, I have never been so in love, with you or with daddy. I felt whole, when we walked out of the hospital together with you. I felt loved.

Now finally the smiley face, well I'm sure that obvious to you if I am still calling you the same nickname I call you now, Isla Smiler. When I was pregnant, I read that it can take a few weeks to smile properly, but you were smiling after 3 days and you seriously haven't stopped. Whenever daddy or I come into a room and you see us, you smile so brightly and there is nothing I loved to see more, when I wake up in the morning.

Now I right now, don't know what has happened to you right there. But there are so many things that I hope have happened. I hope that firstly, you have friends and maybe a boyfriend. I hope that you have an amazing personality. I hope that you still despite possibly having a teenage attitude are still polite to the people who love you the most and others as well. I hope that you are clever and proud of the achievements that you have made. I hope that your future is bright and you have aspirations to do amazing things. I hope that you take any opportunity that comes your way. But the thing that I hope for most of all is that you are happy. Whatever you're doing and wherever you are.

Have an amazing day smiler, I love you more than anything in the world and never ever forget that.

All our love from,
Mummy and Daddy
Xxx"

I turned to Harry, who's head was rested on my arm. I wiped my eyes as they were dripping with tears.
"What does Michelle say we have to do now?" I said. He lifted his head and giggled.
"She says we need to go back to the rovers."
"We best go as do the that then" I said and I took the letter and the box and got up. I gabbed Zizzi's lead and gave it to Harry. We headed to the door, left and locked it behind us.