I couldn't look at her

It's half term at school. Today I'm going to work at the factory. I want to know what to do and how to do everything, so one day I can run it as well as my mum and dad. I put on jeans and a blue shirt with my brown Chelsea boots.
"You'll need a coat" Michelle said as I came down the stairs to have breakfast.
"I'm literally walking across the road" I said as I sat down and poured myself some tea.
"I don't care, I don't want you getting ill"
"Oh my goodness you're such a mum"
"I know, now eat up, grandad wants you over there soon"
"Alright" I said as I checked my phone, "it's only like 8:30"
"I know and he wants you there at 9"
"So I have like half an hour"
"Just don't be late alright, I need to go and get Amy from next door and then we are going out"
"Are you going out without me?"
"You're working, and getting paid to do it, stop complaining and eat"

I put on my coat and walked over to the factory. I was standing outside when Kate came up behind me.
"You ready monkey?" She said as she put her arm around me.
"Yeah" I said slowly.
"What's up? Michelle told me about the letter, is it that?"
"No just got lots of memories here"
"Good ones as well as bad ones though right?"
"Yeah" I said, as I rubbed my chest.
"Come in, dad will go off on one if I'm late" she said pulling me inside with her arm still around my neck.

We went inside to find Aidan and Johnny both sitting in the office.
"Hey munchkin" Aidan said as he hugged me.
"You ready?" Johnny said as I took my coat off.

"Now come and sit here" Johnny said as he pointed to his desk chair.
"Is this your desk?" I asked, knowing that this was mum's.
"Yes love, and one day it will be yours alright?" He said as I sat down. I looked at the many papers scattered across it before looking to the shelf above. There was a picture in a silver picture frame, inside there was a picture of Johnny, Aidan and Kate.
"Do you not have a picture of mum?" I asked as Johnny stood behind my chair.
"I do"
"So where is it?"
"Open that drawer" he said pointing to the top drawer of his desk, inside there was a load more papers as well as empty sweet packets and at the back was a picture of mum and I from when I was little. It was in a black frame.
"Why is it in here?"
"Honestly?" He said as he pulled the spare chair from the table in the corner.
"Yeah" I said holding the picture.
"I couldn't look at her, I couldn't look at my baby girl everyday knowing that she wasn't here and I was. Knowing that she had left you behind."
"Like mum?"
"What?"
"When Elsa died, she didn't want to look at her, she couldn't look into the eyes of that little girl knowing that she wasn't going to be there ever again."
"Yeah, just like mum" he said as he kissed the top of my head.
"But do you know what? I think now I am ready for it to go back, back where it belongs" he said as he took it from me and put it in the empty space next to the other one.
"I know how you feel" he said to me as he put his arm around me and we both stared at the picture.
"I know" I said.
"It's nearly been a year, hasn't it?" He said to me as I sat up.
"Yeah, I want to do something special." I said.
"That would be nice, but what?"
"I have an idea, you'll see"