Late night chats

We got home and Mum got us a chippy tea. We ate in the kitchen with Kate, Aidan, Johnny, Michelle and Nick. When we were finished I went into Elsa's room and started to get her ready for bed. She was lying in bed looking in a magazines while Bella tried to read too. I got Bella ready first then took her out to Mum and she put her to bed.

Then I got Elsa ready too. I went out into the living room to find that Johnny, Aidan and Michelle had left. Kate was sitting watching tv,
"where's Mum?" I asked
"in her room with Nick." I went into Mum's room to find them both sitting on their bed.
"Hey you, where's Elsa?"
"Watching telly with Kate"
"are you alright?" Nick asked
"yeah I'm fine just glad I have a week off school"
"I bet you are" mum said,
"right shall we get Elsa to bed" Nick said.
"Yeah" Mum and I replied.

Nick had gone home, Mum had gone to bed, Bella and Elsa were asleep. Kate was staying over at ours, on the sofa.
At around eleven, she knocked on my door, I was standing close to it so I opened it quietly.
"Can I come in?" Kate asked.
"Yeah come on" I whispered back. We chatted for ages about boys and school but I knew Kate was going somewhere with her conversation.
"Do you remember the last time I saw you?" She asked
"Yeah it was when I was like 8, at Liam's funeral" I said
"Do you miss him? Liam?"
"Yeah" I said as i nodded slowly.
"And your Dad right?" She said
"You know the answer to that, you know how much I miss him"
"Do you ever talk about him to anyone?"
I shook my head, "no, Mum's always busy with the girls and Michelle has Steve, I mean who do I talk to? I feel like when I talk to someone it's like a weight lifted from my shoulders. I wish I could talk about Dad more."
"Talk to me"
"What?"
"Talk to me I will listen talk to me"
"I feel like if dad was here, these bad things wouldn't have happened, Mum wouldn't be the way she is. Dad always knew how to make her happy, always knew how to cheer her up. And I can't do that, not anymore."
"But your Mum and Dad knew each other for a long time"
"Yeah I know and they loved each other a lot but Mum and Dad did argue, maybe that's why the knew each other so well. Mum always says to me to never go to bed on an argument, but they did. On the day Dad died, Mum found out about his habits and they argued. He died and he died on an argument. I never got to say goodbye to him. That's the one thing I hate."
"I know"
"You know I will never get to hear his voice again, never get to walk down the aisle with him, he will never see the smile of my children when they see their grandad, he will never get to see my children or me grow up and that's the thing I hate because I miss him everyday and I can't show it to Mum or to anyone. I mean I love Bella and Elsa, but I'm not their Mum or their carer, I don't mind once in a while or getting Bella and Elsa on my way home from school but I can't do it all the time. Sometimes I need time for me to think cos all those feelings and emotions are crammed into my body and I am too small to handle them, soon I'm going to explode." And as I said that that I burst into tears, Kate pulled me close into her and I sobbed into her shoulder.
"Hey it's alright, I'm here." She whispered. I pulled away and wiped my tears with the sleeve of my jumper.
"I always felt like Dad would make time for me, I was his princess and he always found time, no matter what. Mum was his queen and he treated her like one. But with me, he would sit me on his lap and say 'what you thinking, smiles?' That's what he called me and I would tell him. I miss telling him. I miss talking. Sometimes I tell Bella when I try to get her to sleep at night. But Dad was better and I want him back."
The door slowly opened and Mum walked in...