Speech

"I started writing this speech last week and I sat down on my bed to write it. "What do I say?" I thought, "I've never done anything like this before, which is surprising given the amount of times my mum has been married." The rest of this speech I wrote along the week but this bit, I thought up late last night. "You're the dad that I used to dream about, after mine died, you are the guy who takes me shopping on a Sunday morning to let mum sleep in and the dad who let me have pizza parties on a Friday night. So thank you, for being the dream dad, you know what they say, dreams really do come true.

Since I was 7, all I've ever known was my mum and I, there was sometimes one of her boyfriends or husbands around but no one ever stayed long, well not as long nick. No one ever stuck by mum like nick has, no one else put up with her rubbish cooking, or her crazy moods swings and as nick calls it, Carla time. This time is when she lies on the sofa and expects us both to run around after her, making her coffee or getting her glasses of wine or painting her nails and massaging her shoulders.
I was 10 the first time my mum met nick, he came into the factory wanting to buy into it. Obviously being the stubborn person she is, she said no. I remember her coming home that evening and telling me about it, from then on he was known as the factory steeling guy or Gail Platt's favourite son.

I thought, that after my dad died, that was it, it was going to be just me and mum forever, but about a year ago, I got a text on my way home from school to come to the bistro. I walked in those doors over there and saw mum sat at the bar, a sight I was quite used to. Nick was off serving customers. I sat down with her and she told me we were having dinner there. Phew I thought, at least I didn't have to have her cooking. Nick came over and I saw a twinkle in mum's eyes, the same one she has right now. As if every time she sees nick she has a firework go off in her head and it's reflected in her eyes. They told me that evening that they were going out, it was obvious they were in love and they have been the same ever since.
I always found it hard, to fit in around mum's new boyfriends, they didn't care about her kid, they just wanted to spend time with her. I expected that from nick, until one Sunday he and mum were about to go out for dinner when nick said, "well isn't Isla coming?" I could see mum wanting me to go and expecting nick not to want me here, but he did.

You know Nick, I used to be the one who washed her hair in the bath while she cried about the tragedy she was facing at the time, and then I was the person who brushed her knotty hair, while she continued to cry. Then finally I was the person who tucked her up into bed, as she continued to cry, with her eyes red and puffy and her face wet with tears. "I love you, more than anything" I would say as I pulled the duvet up to under her chin. "Stay with me" she would reply so I would lie next to her in bed and stroke her hand or her hair until I heard her whimpers stop. And now I'm glad that he is here, so I don't have to be the one who looks after you and you are better to look after me.

There's many people here who would like to say thank you to you. Mum, Gail would like to say thanks for letting Nicky have his dream of marrying his mum. David wants to say thanks for taking away his annoying big brother and finally giving him the chance of being the favourite son. Don't worry David, Gail's already said it's never going to happen. One person who isn't here today who would have loved to be here, Hayley would have loved today, the dresses and hats, seeing mum happy, she would have cried in the ceremony and probably laughed at this speech but she is the closest thing I've ever had to a grandma, and the best shot that my mum had for a mum.

I want to say thank you too, to the people who have devoted the past year to being amazing, to being my inspiration, all I have talked about for weeks was this wedding, because you two are the reason that this has been one of the most amazing years of my life.
Nick, thanks for the late night chats about geography coursework and replying to the long and stressful texts I send you in the day about some girl in my class at school, thank you for the crazy trips to Costco where you try to crash the trolley into people's ankles. I never used to be sure about you, if you were right for my mum and as you know I'm extremely protective over her. But she did well, with you, she found someone who makes us all happy.

And Mum, thank you for being my constant protection, for the never ending love you give me and never failing to make me smile. Even when you're falling asleep on the sofa at night, you are still the one to make me laugh. Whether you're making side comment about people in the street or shouting at people at work, you are always making me laugh.
Both of you are amazing with our sofa snuggles in the evening and our special All of Me song.  And I never want that to end. Thank you for being part of our Tilsley/Connor trinity, who could be broken by no soul or body and who are stronger together rather than apart.

A few months ago, mum was involved in a car accident, there was a chance we could have lost her, nick and I came home that evening and I broke down on the sofa and he held my hands and he looked at me, and said, "Whatever happens, wherever life takes you, I'm always there. If your amazing mum doesn't make it through this, I am here, I will be there." "But why?" I asked, "Because I made a promise to your mum, which was, that if anything was to happen to her then I would be the one to look after you, ok?" he was there when I needed him, when mum needed him.
She was in a coma for two weeks, every day, nick got up made us breakfast and took me to school, then he would sit with mum and talk to her. She has no idea what he said to her, no one does, well I know some. He made her a promise. He said that when they get married he was going to be the husband that she dreamed of. That wasn't all, he said this "now you my Carla Connor, need to hurry up and get better, so you can be an amazing mum to our daughter and our new baby too."

I smiled and giggled as everyone realised what I had just said. There were roars of congratulations while mum held her stomach and Nick looked at her in fear.
"The baby? Carla. Is it my baby?" Nick said.
"Yes Nick of course it your baby" she said grabbing his hand and putting it on her stomach.
"How do you know? It could be his" snatching his hand away. It was his baby, mum made sure when she found out, she wanted to be sure
"Nick, it is your baby"