The scan

I came downstairs the next morning. Mum was standing in the kitchen making some pancakes.
"Since when were you a cook" I said as I walked up behind her.
"I've been learning"
"Since when?"
"Just experimenting because I want you to have good food when you come to see me not all takeaways."
"Ok"
Bella was in the snug watching TV. She was sucking in the corner of her favourite blanket.
"Hey monkey" I said as I sat down next to her.
"Isla, I'm scared"
"Why?"
"Because mummy is cooking" she said. I burst out laughing and went back into the kitchen to tell mum what happened.

Later that day, mum and Nick had gone  to the scan. Bella and I were up in my room unpacking. We were chatting away about stuff and I could tell Bella enjoyed living with mum and Nick so much more.

Later that day, I heard the car outside. Bella and I ran downstairs to find Nick carrying mums bag in as she walked in front of him. She was clutching a folder under her arm and she walked into the snug. She looked upset.
We followed her into the snug and sat down either side of her on the sofa.
"Carla, you need to tell them," Nick said, "they need to know"
"Girls, you know how when me and Nick were meant to get married it was very stressful for me with the baby"
"Yeah" I said slowly, looking down at Bella, who's eyes were filled with fear.
"Well sometime then the baby growing wasn't as good, so it's quite small."
"Is the baby gonna be ok?" Bella asked.
"Well hopefully when it's born it will be fine because it will grow."
"Is it gonna die?" Bella asked
"No, it should grow."
"Tell them whether it's a boy or girl Carla"
"You two are going to be big sisters to a little girl" mum said. We both smiled and hugged her tight.
"Wait, wait" she said, we pulled away.
"What is everything alright?"
"Yeah I thinks she's kicking. Nick come here, feel this" mum said. Nick got up from the arm of the other sofa and out his hand on mums stomach.

That night mum came up to my room again. She lay next to me in bed.
"I miss him" she said
"Who?"
"Nick, I miss him Isla"
I told her about what we talked about in the car. She looked so happy.
"Isla I need to tell you something"
"What?"
"We kissed, after the scan, we kissed..."