On the edge

"I'll see you later" I called to Michelle as I walked down the stairs and grabbed zizzi's lead.
"Where are you going again?"
"Taking Zizzi out to the red wreck, but I'm going to drive" I lied.
"Ok driver girl, love you"
"Love you too"

I got zizzi in the boot of my car and got in. I drove in the opposite direction to the red wreck, towards the quarry.
When I arrived, I got zizzi out the boot and let her run around. There was no one here. I took the blanket for my car and lay it on the floor over the edge, I then sat down with no fear of being so close to the edge.
I wonder what it would be like, if dad hadn't of died, I thought, I would have had Bella or Harry or Elsa or even Jessica. Maybe mum wouldn't have been trapped in the factory by tony and I would have a scar on my chest because of him. Mum wouldn't have been raped by frank foster and she would have had her heart broken by peter. But I can't change that. Maybe mum and dad would have had more kids, dad always wanted to but it was mum that didn't, after me, the accident. Maybe we would have lived in a huge house and we would have family dinners together and go for family walks in a Sunday.

But no, we couldn't do that, because it's just me, I'm the only one left. And I'm here, sitting on a blanket on the edge of a quarry, by myself because everyone else is gone.

"Dad used to," I paused, coughed and continued, "he used to bring me here to go for walks when mum was busy. But one day he brought her and she loved it. They used to come here as kids and jump down trying not to die. They would try to climb back after too. That's why she came here, when she came here, when she was going through her gambling addiction, she came here because this is where she took risks, like she did."

When I woke up, it was dark. Zizzi was lay on the blanket next to me. My car was still park in the distance and the quarry was still quiet. I took my phone out of my pocket. It was dead. Great I thought. I sat up slowly and looked up at the stars as I pulled my knees into my chest.
"Don't you just wish you would see a shooting star, Zizzi, and all your wishes and dreams would come true."
She didn't answer, she just got up spun around and lay back down again.
"I don't want to go home, I want to stay here and I want to wait for a shooting star, do you know what I would wish for Zizzi?"
She grumbled and nestled her head into herself.
"I'd wish that I could go back to when I was seven and I could stop dad going out, I would ask him for help with my homework and then ask him to watch the little mermaid with me." Zizzi moved to put her head on my knees and she went back to sleep.

I was daydreaming for ages when I saw some lights in the distance where I had parked my car. Maybe someone else was feeling like me, I thought to myself as I watched intently. It was only as they got closer that I realised it was more that one person. Two men and woman. And I listened and heard their footsteps echo around the quarry. I heard their voices shout and I realised that they were shouting for me.
"Isla, Isla" I herd them call. Zizzi was too much of a deep sleep to notice. I didn't want to be found, not yet, I wanted to be left alone to look for my shooting star.
The people were closer, and I realised that it was Michelle, and two police officers. I carried on watching but looked for my shooting star as well.
"Wait there" I heard Michelle say as she got closer.

"Hey Isla smiler, what you doing?" She said as she stood at a distance and I was watching the sky.
"Waiting"
"For what?"
"A shooting star"
"Why?"
"I want to make wish"
"What wish?"
"I can't tell you, it won't come true"
"One person won't hurt. It's only me, Chelley"
"I want to wish that I can back to when I was seven and I can stop dad getting in the car"
"Hey hey" she said as she sat down on the blanket next to me. "You're freezing"
"I don't feel cold"
"Do you want to know a story?"
"Yeah"
"When your mum was pregnant with you, your dad used to call you his little shooting star because he said that all his wishes came true with you"
"Really?"
She nodded, wiping the tears out of her eyes.
"Now how about we go home"
"Yeah" I said as I grabbed