Newest Member of the Coven

It had taken three days, but eventually Charlie's screams had died down and his heart rate had slowed down to almost nothing. In that time, Maya had not left his side once. When he was calm enough she laid down beside him and when he thrashed too much she moved to the chair that Jasper often occupied to keep her company.

She had watched the changes that overtook her father with amusement tinged by sadness. He had always been one of those ruff-around-the-edges type of men. One you knew wouldn't hesitate to get dirty or one you would picture more often in an old shirt and jeans instead of fancy clothes. It was something he was proud of, that he looked like exactly what he was; a working man and not one of those "fancy movie star boys that had never seen a day of work in their lives". Seeing his transformation into a mix of fancy "movie star looks" and "rough working man" made her want to smile. At least until he would make another small sound of pain and she would be reminded of how and why he was changing like this.

(By the way, no hate on actors. I know it's a real job and takes serious effort and skill, but some how I can just picture Charlie saying something like this about them when talking about the kinds of boys his daughters should be dating)

As his heart gave one last beat and then went quiet Maya leaned forward from her position in the chair. She watched as his red eyes fluttered open and he blinked in confusion. Slowly he sat up and looked around the room before turning to her. "What the hell happened?"

At the sound of his voice, smoothed out by the transformation but still unmistakably her dads, Maya threw herself at him. He caught her in his arms, nearly crushing her with his new strength but she didn't care. "Thank god" she sobbed, relieved he was finally awake.

His transformation had been touch and go for a little while given that Bella had nearly killed him before the venom had a chance to spread. Maya knew her dad would pull through. He was far to stubborn not to. But that didn't stop the worry and the "what ifs" from running through her mind as she stayed with him these past few days.

Charlie for his part, though confused as to what had happened, just held his daughter close as she cried against him. He rubbed her back just as he had done when she had cried as a child until eventually she managed to stop crying. "Feeling better?" he asked, leaning away so that he could see her face.

She sniffled and nodded her head, pulling away as well so that they could have the discussion she knew they needed to have. "What do you remember?"

Charlie sighed, the action of drawing in breath feeling odd to him. "I remember hanging out with Billy and someone knocking on the door. I assumed it was Jacob and was joking with Billy about him trying to rush us old men. But after that, nothing but pain."

Maya closed her eyes at this, unsure if that was a good or bad thing. On the one hand it meant that her dad wouldn't remember being attacked and almost killed by his own child, but on the other it meant that now she had to tell him. "I wasn't Jacob" she confessed quietly. "It was Bella."

At her dad's look of confusion she decided to start from the beginning. "You know how my family in Italy and the Cullens here are special? Well they are what most people call vampires." At her dad's lack of shock, Maya gave a breathy laugh. "But you already knew that didn't you?"

"None of you have been very subtle about it" he told her with an eyeroll. "But so long as no one was going missing or turning up dead, it was no business of mine."

Maya let out a snort at that. Her dad must be the only person in the whole world to discover the existence of vampires and decide it changed nothing. "Yeah well Bella didn't feel that way when she found out and has been bugging Edward to change her ever since. Which he finally did on the condition that she marry him first."