Chapter 66

Kimberly's pov____________________

When Bekah woke up, she decorated the house for Christmas. Richelle played with Hope while Elijah and I were in the living room. We sat there in silence. He wasn't pissed but he was reticent. Nik and Hayley were on their way.

I was staring at him while his back was toward me.

I made up my mind to speak. "Eli--"

Bekah's heels cut me off as she walked into the room. "Well, isn't this place rather nice?" She came in carrying a bottle of alcohol. "Nik must have compelled a wine lover to keep it up because I found a 2005 Bordeaux. Fancy a sip?"

"I appreciate this sentiment, Rebekah, but I do recognize when I'm being handled with kid gloves" Elijah said.

Bekah put the bottle on the table. "How are you feeling?" She asked him.

"Patronized... I am here to protect you"

"I know you meant to, Elijah" Bekah said softly. 

"And yet you found it necessary to render me unconscious before bringing me here?"

"Well, you weren't yourself, and I needed to get us out of that diner"

"What happened back there? We were fine until you left for a while" I asked.

"I don't know... Niklaus sent us to protect Hope. My job is to keep her safe" 

"Let's take the kids outside. Fresh air would be nice" I said. "Richelle, bring Hope and yourself outside!" I called. 

The three of us went to the front of the house. Richelle came out bringing Hope in her car seat. She put her down on the steps as Bekah and I gathered firewood. Richelle sat with Hope and Elijah.

Bekah and I look over and see Elijah hesitating to touch Hope.

"You can touch her you know" Richelle said.

"It's all right, Elijah. She won't break. Everything you did was in the name of protecting her. I'm not worried" Bekah said as Elijah picked her up.

"Is that what I think it is?" Elijah asked.

"It's bonfire season, and I am reviving a family tradition, especially since we're all going to be together"

"Sounds like a fun tradition" I said.

"Only because we're fleeing from one of our deranged parents, another Mikaelson family tradition" Elijah said. "It's a peculiar thing. Never to be tired yet forever exhausted with the sameness of things" Elijah walked over to us and my eyes went to Hope. She was looking at me. I smile as I hold her hand. "Why is our family always at war?"

"I don't know, but being away with her made me see things differently. We're not so bad. Not the monsters that our parents think we are" Bekah kissed Hope's hand as a car approached.