Gilded Goodbyes

Violet POV:

The mansion continued to crumble as Midas destroyed it with his own jewels, doing more damage to his home than we ever could.

Akio and I remained crouched behind the last standing pillar in the lobby, steadily losing any possible upper hands we might find working as a team. The ceiling was weakening rapidly. Small fires in various parts of the building were growing bigger. The soot and ash polluting the air made it hard to breathe. This place wouldn't continue standing much longer.

And it's exactly what Midas wanted. He was trying to draw us out, and he'd do anything to be successful. He lost his mind-fully, along with his last sliver of common sense. He was a danger to us and himself, not above destroying his own place-or his own body to win.

Akio remained in hiding next to me as more pieces of the mansion continued to fall around us, keeping his back glued to our tiny piece of safety. He breathed deeply to calm himself, trying for a countless time to peer out from the pillar. Only the two of us gasped as he was instantly forced back from the purple jewel that tried to stab into his eye, slicing off another piece of our crumbling shield.

I guess, we're kind of trapped right now...

My best friend looked at me with a concerned glance that completed my thoughts, huffing slightly in exasperation for our growing disadvantages.

"Any ideas on how to counteract that?" He asked, gesturing with his glowing eyes to the silver jewels exploding the ceiling.

I pursed my lips and shielded my head as pieces of debris continued to dust down atop us, trying to figure out a solution quickly. Seeing the remnants of my crystals on the ground gave me a very important reminder.

"Well, my quirk is immune to his abilities-or-not all of them, but the most important ones at least." I explained, causing Akio to nod.

The two of us grimaced simultaneously as another boom sounded, coughing from the next rain of ash that showered over us.

"Yeah. The purple jewels, I know. That's one of the reasons he wanted you on his side. If you weren't his enemy, there wouldn't be anyone to challenge him. That was his whole motive in recruiting you to his triad in the first place." Akio confirmed, planting an uneasy feeling in my stomach.

This whole thing feels so incredibly weird and a little surreal-in the worst way. Akio is Tsuyo, and it's still something I can't believe, definitely not something I've had the chance to process with the very brief conversation we'd been able to have about it.

There's so many things I want to say. So many things I want to ask him-hell, I still don't even know how he got himself involved in this horrible situation. He obviously feels bad about it, but still, he ended up here-and for a very long time.

And he was close enough with Midas-or, at least controlled by Midas to the point that he lied to my face every day about who he was. Whether he was Tsuyo or Akio, he was lying.

Did he always know Midas was my dad? Did he know my dad killed my mom? Did he know Dabi was Touya this whole time?

I need to know everything...

To hear Akio speak about Midas and his plans is incredibly distracting because it just further affirms these two knew each other so well. That stings...

But, judging from the look of massive guilt in his eyes and the unspoken somberness lingering in the air between us, I'm sure he knows we have a lot of things to talk about.

So, we need to win. We need to win for a variety of reasons, one being so that I can hear his story.

I tried to shake off my conflicting thoughts and get my mind back into the fight, holding my hand out to activate my crystals.