Maze

Top pic credit: birf

Violet POV:

While I seriously hoped the events of last night were a dream, waking up in a snotty nosed heap on the floor quickly let me know that they weren't.

Of course not. That would have been too good to be true-waking up next to Dabi the way I always do. Rolling over in his warm bed, hugging him and telling him about the horrible nightmare I had last night. The nightmare where he left me for another woman.

Normally, I'd be able to already guess his response before he's said it. I figured he'd say something reassuring, but not too reassuring. Warm, but not too warm. Such as 'I don't like anyone else enough to fuck around with 'em. Heh, I barely even like you.'

That last sentence would have only been said by him to play off the first one. He doesn't like anyone else enough to mess around with, but God forbid he stop it there and allude that maybe, just maybe he likes me.

Regardless, being wrapped around his finger like I have been the last ten months, I would have desperately found the compliment in there somewhere. I would have smiled and been pathetically reassured, and carried on as normal.

Cause I'd have no reason to believe otherwise. His actions towards me would have been enough to convince me he was telling the truth.

But, things change, I guess.

Or, did they ever change? Did he ever change?

Maybe the only thing that changed was the addition of clarity into my mind. The hard reality that, maybe,I never got to know Dabi as well as I thought I did.

The hard reality that he really was playing a sick, twisted game with me for these last ten months. That it was all a lie, even if I can't really believe it myself.

You saw it with your own eyes last night, Violet. You'd have no reason to believe otherwise.

Yes, that's right. I did see it last night. I saw everything clear. Watched as Dabi was prepared to sleep with another woman-a random woman, right in front of my eyes.

So, regardless of what my delusions try to convince me of, that is the physical evidence. It's time to start convincing myself of it.

I sniffled softly as I let my tear crusted eyes open halfway, seeing the plain ceiling of our hotel room meeting my fuzzy gaze.

A small stretch of my muscles caused me to wince instantly and grab my lower back, making me realize that sleeping on the cold, hard floor in the middle of winter wasn't the kindest thing to put my body through last night.

Even so, a slight warmth lingers on my blanket.

My mind wants to convince me that Dabi came over when I asleep, holding me and heating me up for hours. It even goes so far as to imagine he was gently stroking my hair, not getting a wink of sleep as soft, heavy breaths of sorrow repeatedly left his lips.

But, once again, the physical evidence is that I woke up alone. Dabi's not here. He's not even in his bed. I don't know where he is. Maybe he's gone for good, or maybe he went to keep his prostitute company for the day.

I don't really know the guy. So, how am I supposed to know where he went.

My tired stare at the ceiling slowly morphed into a cranky glare as my mind came to full consciousness. And, while I would have loved to lay and mope around on the floor for the majority of the day, the reality is that I'm legitimately freezing right now. I'd like to see if the power came back on, in the form of a nice, hot shower.