Rekindling Old Flames

Violet POV:

The light of a new day filtered in through the curtains, shining atop my closed eyelids and making them flutter.

Vaguely, I could feel the small prick of pain in my lower back, knowing the hard couch cushions underneath me were surely the culprit.

But, what really caused my stirring body to freeze was the lack of warmth next to me. The comforting warmth of Touya that had wrapped me up all night long and put my mind at ease.

It had disappeared as quickly as it had come. The space was now empty and cold, causing my tired eyes to slowly creak open in dread.

The blanket we had shared was now fully on top of me, tucked up to my chin in a mocking gesture of comfort.

Maybe last night was never real at all. Maybe it really was just a dream.

I don't want to find out. But, I suppose it's better to rip the bandaid off now rather than later.

My chest began to tighten as I sat up on the couch quicker than my groggy mind could process, feeling the blanket slip down into my lap as I rubbed my tired eyes.

Oh, Touya. Don't tell me...he's-

"Out of coffee." That familiar voice called out from the kitchen, causing me to turn around on the couch at lightning speed.

My erratic heart hadn't caught up with my eyes, seeing Touya standing in the kitchen with an empty mug.

He hadn't noticed my rising panic, continuing to raid the cupboards for a wink of anything that might be edible.

"You're out of coffee." He repeated once he'd snooped through another drawer, glancing towards me over his shoulder. "Actually, you're out of most things around here."

The air in my lungs returned with a sigh of relief, melting back into the couch cushions.

It wasn't a dream. He really is here.

He didn't leave.

Touya's here. In my kitchen. Sifting through my cabinets, shirtless and pants stained with blood. A year ago, I couldn't have predicted this image at all.

"Oh yeah. I...imagine so." I chuckled weakly, staring up at the ceiling as I tried to calm my pounding heart. "I haven't been in this apartment in almost an entire year."

He hummed and opened the breadbox, barely raising his brows as he pulled out a questionable item covered in mold.

"Yeah. The bread growing hair in the corner proves that." He commented, dropping the toxic item on the countertop with a plop. "Looks like Endeavor-if he wasn't so fucking ugly, you know."

I chuckled raspily, my voice still thick with sleep as I stretched my creaky arms over my head.

Soreness from the chaos of yesterday instantly shot up my body, causing me to grimace softly and lower my arms more carefully.

I need a hot bath-and three years worth of rest. Too bad there's no time for that...

"We have to go into town anyways. We can pick something up along the way if you're hungry." I mumbled tiredly, looking at the cuts and scratches littering my arms.

While I healed the majority of Touya's wounds last night, there's not really any way for me to heal my own. Good old fashioned cream and ointment will need to do the trick for now.

Touya set his empty coffee mug down with a clatter, resting his arms on the countertops looking unsatisfied.

He fiddled with his thumbs, barely peering up at me as he hesitated on his next words.