Kinda Feels Personal

Violet POV:

"So, are you happy now? Do you feel so tough for breaking the rules? Is this all part of your edgy, diabolical plan?" I sneered at Dabi in irritation as we trudged down the hallway of the hotel to make it back to our room.

He trailed behind me, lazily keeping his hands shoved in his pockets as he watched me continue to pick grass and rocks out of my disheveled hair.

"Why is it that every time you open your mouth to speak, something annoying comes out of it?-or vomit, apparently." He countered casually, causing my bloodshot eyes to fly open in crumbled patience as I turned around to face him.

I didn't realize how closely he'd been following behind me, until he practically ran into me from my abrupt stop. He didn't bother to back up, rather trying to silently intimidate me as his blue eyes bore into me with challenge.

But, I'm too mad to care.

"Because every time I turn my back, you're doing something annoying! Or wrong! Or illegal!" I countered, as Dabi rolled his eyes dismissively.

"Well, then it's a good thing I'm not trying to impress you, sunshine." He said smugly, lightly knocking my shoulder as he brushed past me to continue walking.

I closed my eyes in irritation for his relentless rebellion, turning around to face him now as I asked an honest question.

"Seriously, Dabi. This constant, unwilling attitude of yours is starting to get old. Do you just enjoy making my life harder?" I questioned sternly, crossing my arms pointlessly as I didn't even think he'd respond.

But, my voice unintentionally came out differently than it has with the previous conversations I've had with him. This time, it was tired. Legitimately fed up, and no longer filled with the patient optimism I've been trying to show him.

It must have caught his interest, because he stopped walking upon hearing it, turning around to face me once more....

....with a triumphant smirk on his face.

"Yeah. Pretty much." He chuckled lowly, raising his brows at me knowingly, as I reflected back on our earlier conversation.

"Kinda makes ya wanna quit this whole thing and go back to being a complete nobody, doesn't it?"

I matched his laugh now as the revelation dawned on me once again.

"Ohhh, wow. Seriously?! Is that still what this whole thing is all about? Is that why you acted like such a jerk tonight and practically jeopardized both of our lives? And probably got us into monumental trouble?! Because you hoped I'd quit the job?" I scoffed in growing frustrated disbelief, yet Dabi simply stared at me uninterestedly.

"You know, it started out that way. But, I've gotta admit, it's becoming pretty damn fun seeing you always so worked up over nothing." He countered boldly, leaning his shoulder against the wall now as he decided to 'grace' me with his presence.

"Nothing? This whole situation is not nothing! In case you've forgotten, there's an entire reason why you and I have been paired together for this assignment! It's a problem that affects both of us. Or have you already forgotten how Midas almost killed you-and would have, had it not been for my crystals!" I explained, apparently losing Dabi's interest with my words as he shook his head dismissively and began walking down the empty, dark hallway again.

"Aw, is someone mad that I didn't get on my knees and kiss their ass for doing what they were supposed to do? That must feel heartbreaking." He said condescendingly, waving his hands around mockingly as he continued his walk.