Chapter 15: Bad timing.

Making her way to the station, heart tight in her chest, Carolinne rode her motorbike faster than she'd ever tried and broke quite a few speed laws. She could have caused an accideng and it would have been a mess, but in that moment, she was't even tbinking about that; there wad only one thing on her mind: Derek was at the station, where a shrapnell bomb was about to go off, or had already gone off. She got there only a minute before the police cars, and the sight in front of her confirmed the worst case scenario: the bomb had already exploded. As she got closer to the building, she was taken by the strong smell of smoke, dust, and blood.

Inside, everything was a chaotic mess. There were deputies on the floor, bleeding, suffering, dying. She made her way through the wreckage and looked desperatly for him. He could be hurt, he could be dead; the thought made her stomach turn and her head hurt.
-Get me an ambulance here, at the Sheriff's station. We've got an explosion, we've got multople officers down, multiple officers down! -A man yelled. -We need an ambulance A.S.A.P., on the double.
-Derek? -She called. -Derek!
-Carolinne, we're here. -It wasn't Derek's voice, it was Chris Argent's.
-Oh, my God! -She covered her mouth in horror and relief at the same time. Relief because Derek was alive, and horror because his back was covered in glass shreads. Seeing him like that reminded her of Kali after Jennifer had attacked her; but Kali would have survived if it hadn't been for Carol herself, so that meant Derek would thankfully survive, too.
-I'm ok... -Derek said, breathing heavily and with a weak voice. -I'm ok, I'm ok...
-You saved my life. -Chris stated.
-What happened? -Carol asked.
-He put himself between me and the glass. I would be dead. Thank you, Derek.
-It was nothing, I'm fine. -He didn't sound fine at all.
-Yeah, he has the suicidal habid of being a human shield. -Carol sighed, remembering the previous night at the hospital. -OH, VIRGIN MARY! -She exclaimed when Derek passed out. She put both of her hands on his shoulders and started taling his pain, her veins getting black from her hands all the way up to her neck.
-Carolinne, stop.
-No. -She refused, breathing heavily.
-You'll loose your Alpha status.
-I don't need my Alpha status.
-Carolinne! -He pulled her hands off Derek's shoulder. -There's no point in taking his pain if he's still hurt.
-But he's in pain... -She wad still trying to catch her breath.
-Relax, we just have to get the shreads out and he'll start healing. -Chris tried to calm her.
-Yeah. Right, we... We can do this. I, uhm, I'll take out the most supeeficial ones, then I'll take off his jacket and remove the rest.
-Good, breathe.
-Ok... -She started. -God, only Derek would manage to get arrested and nearly blow up the day before his birthday.
-It's his birthday tomorrow? -He asked, trying to take her head off the state in which Derek was.
-Yep. He's turning 23.
-Uhm, how do your parents feel about that? Your dad being a lawyer and all...
-You see, life can be very ironic sometimes. A hunter's daughter can date a werewolf and a lawyer's daughter can get in an out-of-the-law relationship with a guy who's a bit older than her. But some parents choose to give their kids' partners a chance before holding a gun to their heads.
-Wow, ok, point taken.
-I do believe people can change; you actually did point a gun at Scott, but with Isaac, you only threatened to do so. That's growth. But answering your question, my parents like him a lot.
-Really?
-Of course. He's kind to me, he worries and cares about me as much as I worry and care about him, he makes me happy and treats me like princess.
-I... Had no idea. -Chris said. He'd never thought a guy like Derrk could be a good boyfriend. But the past couple of months had gotten him rethinking his percrption of werewolves; ever since Carol had told him about humans being the most cruel species in the world, he'd been reflecting in everything his family had taught him. And he was reaching the conclusion that she was right: Scott or Isaac had never done anything to hurt him or Allison, and Derek and Peter onlu resented the Argents because Kate had massacrated their family. Who was the bad guy here?
-Yeah, that's understandable. People like Derek and me aren't usually pictured as caring partners. I had never imagined myself as someone's girlfriend, and I'd never imagined Derek as a boyfriend either.
-Well, I'd never imagined myself having an actually good conversation with an Alpha werewolf about her and her Hale boyfriend, but I guess almost dying from a shrapnell bomb explosion does that to you.
-I guess it does... -She sighed. Do you know how the bomb got here, by the way? When did the Nogitsune bring it in?
-I have no clue.
-Hey, Noah? -She called.
-Yes?
-Do you know where the bomb was? How did it get here?
-In my desk. The box was delivered this morning, it was supposed to be that plate in the school bus.
-Wait, this morning? Are you sure?
-100% sure. Why?
-Uhm, nothing. Just wanted to know. Uhm, Chris, why was Derek with you earlier?
-Because he thought I had put one of our emitters in his loft.

She replayed everything that had happened during the day in her head. Like how Stiles had showed them everything that was in the bag except for the wrapping paper; the fact that he'd been the one to bring the attention to the steel-jawed traps that ended up not being there; how he'd checked the ground carefully before pulling the chain but still hadn't seen the string. And the fact that he had one of Argent's ultrassonic emitters with him.
-It was never Stiles. -She mumbled.
-What?
-I said... -She quickly looked around her to make sure Noah wasn't hearing. -Stiles is not currently himself.
-But Stiles was just here, he seemed normal.
-It's not him, it's the Nogitsune. That thing had been pretending to be him ever since this morning, it fooled us all. And he's currently with Scott and Kira, what do we do?!
-Do you know where they are?
-At the animal clinic.
-Excellent. I helped Deaton get a temporary antidote that will keep the fox inactive for a few days. I'll call him right now!
-What happened? -Derek's voice was heard, indicating that he was finally conscious again as Carol had removed the majority of shreads.
-You passed out on me, that's what happened. -She explained as they both got up.
-Carolinne, you guys should probably get out of here.
-Yeah, we should. Come on, Derek. And Chris?
-Yes?
-Thank you.
-You're welcome. -He nodded.
---------------------------

-Wait, you're taking us to your house? -Derek questioned as Carol went the opposite way from his loft. Let it be stated that he was not happy to go on her motorbike; he wanted to drive, but they didn't have a car there.
-Yeah.
-Why?
-Because tomorrow has to be amazing, starting in the morning.
-You know you don't have to do anything tomorrow, right?
-Yes, I do.
-I didn't even give you a birthday gift.
-We weren't toghether on my birthday, and I wasn't even in the country.
-I won't let things stay this way.
-Well, you can't stop me from trying to give you a nice birthday, so quit trying.
-...Thank you for that.
-You're welcome.

The rest of the ride was silent. When they got to the Whittemore house, no one was there yet, as Carol's parents were working late.
-Ok, so, you have the right to pick the movie. -She told him, once they were in her room.
-Really?
-Really. But if by chance you wanna watch Stephen King's IT--
-Nope, not gonna happen.
-Ok, I tried. You could at least admit that you're offended by horror movies.
-I'm sorry?
-You don't fool me. The real reason you don't like them id because they always portray the supernatural as evil, and you take that very personally.
-I don't know what you're talking about.
-Liar!
-Fine, yeah, I think that's exactly what makes them so stupid.
-I knew it!
-But come on, it's because of things like those that people think we are mosters who should be dead.
-Most people don't even believe we exist. Hell, I didn't belelieve in the supernatural until a year ago.
-But people who do are scared of it.
-Well, those movies are not about werewolves, but I see your point. So, what are we gonna watch?
-I was thinking maybe we could leave the movie for later. -He smirked.
-Are you suggesting we do something else, Mr. Hale? -She asked playfully.

Instead of answering, he pulled her closer and kissed her. He took off her T-shirt, she unbuttoned his pants, started pulling them down and... Her phone rang.
-Holy shit, is this National bad timing Day or something?! -She snored.
-Are you gonna check that?
-I have to, it could be someone from the pack. Ah, Scott. Hello?
-Hi Carol... -Scott greeted. -Are you busy?
-Depends.
-I need your help. Look, it turns out Stiles was not Stiles earlier.
-Yeah, I figured it out, too.
-Now, Deaton used something called Letharia Vulpina to bring him back for a while.
-That's great! But where do I go in this? Why do you need my help.
-Stiles wants to check himself into the Eichen House.
-What is he thinking?! -Derek, who was also listening, questioned.
-He can't do that. -Carol stated.
-Exactly, and I need you to help me convince me of that.
-We're on our way.
-Thank you. -He hung up.

Both of them got dressed again and got ready to go save Stiles, not from the Nogitsune, but from himself.