Chapter 2: Pain.

Yeah, mess was the right word to dedcribe that scene. All of those birds flew against the window, some fell down and some got threw it, breaking the glass.
-Get down! Everyone! -Mrs. Blake yelled. All stundents panicked, some tried to get protection under the desk as she kept yelling. -Get down! Get down! Get down! GET DOWN!

In a few minutes, the pigents were gone. Everyone was still in shock and there were feathers everywhere. In the middle of that scene, her phone (that she obviously hadn't turnes off, because yes, she is that provocative) rang.
-Scott?
-Hey, I know you're in the middle of English class, but you might wanna come here.
-Actually, I'm not. A bunch of birds broke in tha classroom and started flying arround, it was a huge mess, and now the police is here. -She explained like it was the most usual thing ever.
-...You're joking right?
-Nope. So, where exactly is "here"?
-Meet us at Derek's. Why isn't Stiles picking up?
-What part of the mess I just described you didn't hear?!
-Oh, right.
-I'll get him, and we're on our way.
-Ok.

15 minutes later, there they were:
-Scott? -Stiles called.
-We're here! -They followed Scott's voice and found them. The minute her eyes met Derek's she knew that this had been a bad idea.
-...Hi. -She said.
-Hi. -Derek replied, emontionless. The dryness in his voice was everything Carol needed to know that he was still angry at her.
-So... -Scott helped Carolinne, knowing that she was uncomfortable with that atmosphere. -Derek's helping me with my tattoo.
-Scott, you called us here because of a tattoo? -Stiles complained.
-No, I called you here because we have problems. But first, my tattoo.
-Amazing priorities.
-I want one too. -Carol decided. -But you can go first.
-Show it to me, Scott. -Derek said. Scott pointed at his arm and Derek used his Alpha vision. -Yeah, I see it. It's two bands, right?
-Right.
-What does it mean?
-...I don't know. It's just something I traced with my fingers. -He drew it in the dust.
-Looks like a target. -Carol smiled. -Quite suggestive.
-Haha, very funny. -He rolled his eyes.
-Why is this so important to you? -Derek questioned
-Do you know what the word "Tattoo" means?
-To mark something. -Stiles said.
-Well, that's in Tahitian. In Samoan it means "open wound". I knew I wanted to get a tattoo when I turned 18, I always wanted one. I just decided to get it now, to make it kind of a reward.
-For what? -Derek asked.
-...For not calling or texting Allison all summer. Even when I really wanted to, even when it was so har not to sometimes. I was trying to give her the space she wants. -He sighed. -Going four months later, it still hurts. It still feels like a...
-Like an open wound. -Stiles finished for him.
-Yeah.
-I knew it was a target. -Carol mumbled.
-Shut up. -All three man looked at her and she bit her lower lip playfully while smiling.
-That speech didn't make you feel any pity? Not even a little? -Stiles' eyes were wide.
-No, because I understand Alli's side of the story. I understand what it feels like when you care about someone, and you wanna be with them, but you're just not ready to be in a relationship and you need time for youralself because you know that if you insist both sides are gonna get hurt.

None of them said anything, because they all knew that this wasn't just about Scott and Allison anymore. They didn't make any comments about that, or about how coldly steady her hearbeats were. But they didn't have to, because as soon as she heard the words that had just come out of her own mouth, she knew she'd screwed up.
-The pain's gonna be worse than anything you've ever felt. -Derek changed subject.
-Literally. -Carol said. She had the habit of talking too much when she was unconfortable. Way too much. -Some people say that the fire in contact with the skin is the worse pain cause by external factors. That's why the "worst witches" were burned at the stake during the Middle Ages while others whose crimes were "less damnnable" were senteced with hanging for example.

They all looked at her a bit shocked.
-What?
-Uh, nothing. Thanks, Carol, that was very comforting.
-Oh, sorry!
-Ah, that's great. -Stiles said sarcastically while Derek was still looking at her, a bit angry and slightly shaken.
-I absolutely needed that piece of information on how painful my family's deaths were, thank you very much.
-OH MY GOD, I'm so sorry!!! But it probably wasn't! -She tried to fix it, memtally asking herself why couldn't she just shut up. -You know, uh, when there's a fire in a closed space the concentration of Carbon Dioxide and Monoxide in the atmosphere rises quickly, so people usually choke and faint before they get carbonized.
-Carolinne, just stop talking! -Stiles cut her.
-That's probably a good idea. -She nodded, still cursing herself in her head.
-So. -Derek turned back to Scott. -Are you sure about this?
-Do it. -He nodded, and Derek lit a blowtorch.
-Oh, wow! -Stiles exclaimes.  -That's, uh, that's a lot for me, so I'm gonna take that as my cue, I'm just gonna wait outside.
-No. -Derek blocked. -You're gonna help Carolinne hold him down.
-Oh my God...

It looked painful and it sounded painful, but finally, after lots of screaming and glowing eyes, it was over. And Scott had fainted.
-Do you still wanna do it?
-Yes.
-Ok, then. What do you want?
-I want you to write "Freedom" in my shoulder.
-Writing is more complicated then drawing.
-Can you do it?
-...Yeah.
-Ok, then. I'm ready.
------
She woke up about 20 minutes later and looked at her shoulder. There it was, and it was beautiful.

 There it was, and it was beautiful

-You made a bird. -She smiled.

-I thought you'd like it. -He shrugged.
- I love it! Thanks.
-Let's get going. -Stiles called.

They headed towards the door, ut when Scott opened it, he noticed something:
-You painted the door. -He stated. -Why'd you paint the door.
-Go home, Scott. -Derek warned.
-And why only one side? -Scott ignored. He brought his claws out and started ripping. off the painting.
-Scott!
When he stopped, the Alpha Pack symbol was there.
-What is this?
-It's a pack symbol.
-What pack.
-An Alpha Pack. -Carol said.
-You knew about this?!
-I did.
-The birds at school, and the deer last night, just like the night I got trampled by the deer, when I got bit by the Alpha. How many are there?
-A whole pack of them. -Derek sighed.
-Wait, how does that even work? -Stiles questioned.
-I hear there's some kind of a leader, he's called Deucalion. We know they have Boyd and Erica. Peter, Isaac, and I have been looking for them for the last four months.
-Let's say you find them. How do you deal with an Alpha pack? -Scott asked.
-With all the help I can get.
-Where is she? -They heard a voice coming from behind them and turned to see Isaac standing there. -Where's the girl?
-What girl? -Derek asked.
-The girl who saved me, what happened to her?
-Isaac, we have no idea who she is, and I'm sure we must know if she's in danger, but the first thing you should look for is a pair of pants. Now. -Carol said, looking away.

Isaac then realized that he was only in boxers in front of a girl he'd barely talked to a few times.
-...Right.
-We'll take care of that. -Scott said, pulling Isaac and Stiles away with him.

Do not ask me how they fixed that, because I don't know, and I'm not sure I want to. But the point is: once again, Carolinne and Derek were left alone.
-I'm sorry for the thecnical explanation earlier, I don't know what I was thinking.
-It's fine.
-No, it's not. I just talk too much when I'm uncomfortable.
-Why were you uncomfortable?
-Because the second I saw you, I knew you didn't want me here.
-You were the one who said we should stay away from each other.
-No! I said that we can't be toghether as a couple, but I don't want us to be like those toxic people who can't mantain a non romantic relationship. I care so deeply about you, I don't want you to push me away for good.
-I just don't understand why are you fighting your own will to be with me.
-Honestly, Derek? Because I'm too selfish and you're too unstable.
-What do you mean?!
-I mean, I love my life the way it is, and nevee know when you're gonna freak out and decide that the best solution is to kill everyone!

He took a deep breath and looked down before lifting his gaze to look into her eyes again.
-...So this is still about Lydia and Jackson?
-That and Peter. I might have forgiven you for those things, but that doesn't mean I forgot them. I had never allowed myself to try an actual relationship with anyone, and I had just decided that maybe you could be the person who would change that, then you broke the heart I didn't even know I had.
-...I'm sorry. But we weren't actually in a relationship, we didn't get to start that.
-I know. But we had sex.
-Once.
-I was a virgin.

His eyes widened instantly and he just couldn't find the words.
-I... I didn't know.
-But now you do. So now you understand why I was so furious the next day and why I can't take a commitmemt with you. You don't know in which side of the war you're standing, and as much as I want to be here while you decide, I can't do it the way we both wish I could.

That being said, she walked away just like she had four months before.