Chapter 21: Stand Alone.

Matt died that night. Drowned, which couldn't be a coincidence, and whoever had killed him was now the nee Kanima Master. Melissa wasn't even looking at Scott in the face, Noah Stilinski was the Sheriff again, and Carol and Derek still had no idea what Scott's plan was, when Peter would decide to show up or when Allison would strike again.
Right now, they were at the Hale House looking through some old books, seeing if they could figure at least one of their problems out:
-So, what are we looking for exactly? -She asked.
-Anything related to the Kanima.
That's when Erica and Boyd arrived.
-You've decided. -Derek stated, without turning back to face them. -When?
-Tonight. -Erica replied.
-Everyone's gonna be at the game. -Boyd explained. -And we figured it was the best time.
-Decided what, what are you talking about? -Carolinne questioned.
-They're leaving.
-What?
-It's not like we want to. -Erica tried.
-What do you want? -Derek asked.
-Since I just turned 16 a month ago, I wouldn't mind getting my license. I can't do that if I'm dead, you know?
-Well, I told you there was a price.
-You didn't say it would be like this. -Boyd defended them.
-Yeah, but I told you how to survive! You do it as a pack! -Derek exclaimed. Carol thought of questioning that logic again, but decided that the moment wasn't the best. -And you're not a pack without an Alpha. -Derek finished, and turned back to what he was doing.
-We know. -Boyd stated, making him turn arround again.
-...You wanna look for another pack? -No replie. -How are you even gonna find one?
-We think we alrwady did.
-Like, all of a sudden, we heard all this howling. It was unbelievable.
-There must have been a dozen of them.
-Maybe more.
-Yeah, or maybe only two. -Derek argued, losing his patience. -You know what the beau geste effect is? If they modulate their howls with a rapid shift in tone, two wolves can sound like 20.
-Look, that doesn't matter, ok? There's another pack out there, there's gotta be. We've made up our minds.
-We lost, Derek. And it's over. We're leaving.
-No. No, you're running. And once you start, you don't stop. You'll always be running.
Erica grabbed Boyd's hand and started walking away when Carolinne mumbled:
-Cowards.
They stopped and turned back:
-I'm sorry, what did you say?
-Cowards. -She repeated, this time loud and clear. -Did you get it now or should I spell it?
-Who are you to judge us? You never even joined the pack.
-Exactly. I didn't let someone believe that they could trust me just to leave when things got hard; I made it clear from the beggining that I worked individually: I stand alone, I fight alone, if I fall, I fall alone, and when I get up, I get up alone. But you? You made a promisse. And now you're breaking it to go beg for a place in someone else's pack, moaning for mercy like beaten-up dogs. -Her words were almost as sharp as her knives, and there was a hint of disgust in her voice, A very angry Boyd growled at her, fangs out, ready to fight.
-Oh, you wanna attack me? Go ahead. -She teased, and pulled a purple spray out of her pocket. -I dare you.
-Let's just go. -Erica said, and quickly pulled Boyd out of there.
Derek turned back, clearly furious and slightly hurt with what had just happened. He took a piece of a broken mirror an threw it across the room, but it never shattered. Standing there, holding the glass, was Peter Hale:
-I expected a slightly warmer welcome. But point taken.
-Just what we needed. How lovely. -Carol sighed.
-Nice seeing you too, Blondie. Hey, is that some sort of wolfsbane mace spray?
-Aham. A gift from a friend.
-Miss Holmes, I assume.
-Correct assumption.
-And you, my Nephew. Aren't you gonna say "hello" to me?
Derek didn't bother to reply, so Peter continued talking:
-It's quite a situation you've got yourself in here, Derek. I mean, I'm out of commission, for a few weeks and suddenly there's lizard people, geriatric psycopaths, and you're cooking up werewolves out of every self-esteem-deprived adolescent in town.
-What do you want?
-Well, I want to help. You're my nephew, the only relative that I have left. You know, there's still a lot that I can teach you. -He walked towards Derek and placed a hand in his shoulder. -Can we just talk?
-Sure. Let's talk. -Derek replied, and threw him across the room.
-I'm guessing that's my cue. Good luck, Derek. Do you want this? -She offered him the wolfsbane spray
-Ugh, I'll pass. What's the point of having a weapon that will hurt you too?
-Maybe it won't hurt me.
-What do you mean?
-A teenage girl is allowed some secrets.
-Leaving already, Blondie? -Peter got up.
-I have a game to watch and a brother to save.
-And is that game more interesting than our family reunion?
-I'm taking that as a rethorical question. See you.
She walked out of the House, leaving the two Hales alone.
-So, why don't we start our conversation with a light topic? -Peter suggested, shrugging when Derek raised a brow at him. -For example, Miss Lorelai Gilmore with a touch of Heather Chandler.
-...What?!
-Carolinne! -Peter rolled his eyes.
-Who the hell is Heather Chandler?
-It doesn't matter. -He rolled his eyes again at the lack of references. -What matters is: you're simping for her, aren't you?
-Shut up.
-Oh, my God, you really are.
-I'm not. And it's none of your buisness.
-You hurt me, nephew.
-And you hurt my patience. -Derek sighed deeply and shook his head. That eas gonna be a long evening.
---------

She was waiting for the game to start when she saw Melissa leaving the boys' locker. The woman headed toeards her until they were side by side.
-Hey... Carol Jane.
-Good evening, Melissa. So... You're not running from us anymore?
Mrs. McCall took a deep breath. Carolinne could listen to her heartbeats, and they were surprisingly steady.
-Look, Carolinne... Scott is my son. And you've been his friens since you were four. I've raised him, I've watched you grow up, and then one day, I see you both with glowing yellow eyes, fangs, claws, there's too much hair in his face and a giant lizard whom you seemed to care about was being attacked by Derek Hale, who also had claws, fangs, glowing eyes and way too much facial hair. I was scared and lost.
-I don't blame you for it. It's a lot to take in.
-What are you?
-Werewolves. And that giant lizard was my brother.
-That thing was Jackson?!
-Yeah... He was supposed to be a wolf like us, but some stuff went wrong.
-And why were Derek's eyes different? His were red.
-Because he's the Alpha. Me and Scott are Betas.
-Uh, I see. Carolinne Jane Whittemore submitting to an Alpha, that's something I'd never thought I'd see. -She let out a small chuckle.
-Oh, I'm not a part of their pack. -Carol grinned. -They tried to get me in, but I'm too free for that.
-Sounds more like the Carol Jane I know. How did you get involved in all this?
-It's truly a long story, and I feel like it's Scott who should tell you. Have you talked to him?
-Not really. I did tell him to do what that old man wanted.
-What? What old man?
-The Principal. He seems to have your brother under control.
-Of course it would be him. I... I have to tell Derek.
-You're leaving?
-He has to know! Good luck with the game.
-Uh, bye, then.
-Bye, Melissa!
Noah Stilinski arrived just as she left, and seemed confused to see her going before the game even started. She was about to walk out when she heard Coach saying that Stiles was playing and stopped dead on her tracks. She couldn't miss this. It was his dream to actually play, and he was so happy, she just couldn't miss it. And thinking of that gave her time to analyze the situation. It was actually better for her to stay because 1: If Jackson snapped, she was the only one who could try to stop him without Jackson getting paralyzed; 2: Derek was probably still with Peter; and 3: Stiles was playing, and there was no way in hell she wouldn't be there to watch him. Yeah, that's it; she was staying. At least for now.