Chapter 78: Miss You

It took a little bit of time for me to warm up to the fact that I was spending my entire day with four girls. I wasn't used to being with girls besides Kinsley, usually she was the only eception with the guys unless Briana was tagging along with Porter, or Maverick managed to keep a girl for a little while, but other than that, I tended to shy away from girls. Guys were always less dramatic to me, but the same way everything was changing this summer, I found myself enjoying spending the day with Stella, Lauren, Kinsley, and Kara. They were easy to get along wth, and sometimes had similar attitudes to the guys from All Time Low, or The Lovely Broken, either because they were naturally easy-going, or just from spending so much time with them.

        Either way, by late evening, as we were leaving a small Italian restaurant we'd stopped at for lunch, I found myself retting the day more than I'd planned.

        After searching through a few different stores, Stella decided on dresses for Kara and Lauren. They were sleek, kiwi colored dresses, and strapless that stayed straight and narrow and stopped a few inches above their knees. The dress had a gathered, detailed neckline with a belt around the middle. It was a light enough color to fit the warm, summer season and matched Stella's green, black and white color scheme.

        After she found the dresses and had Kara and Lauren's measurements taken so the store could order the dresses, the three of them turned their attention to Kinsley and me, focused entirely on finding dresses in the few hours we had left.

        Kinsley was easier to shop for, finding a dress in the next sore that everyone approved of. It was a cocktail length, renaissance dress, the same as the bridesmaid's dresses, which was reasonable considering the weather. The color was a light, champagne pink with a ruffle from the top left that ended just below the waist.

        The dress that caught my eye, almost to my own surprise, was a light, soft coral, silk dress, strapless and a few inches shy of my knees. The bodies was decorated with thin, soft petals of material, stopping at the waist above a rouched sash and a tulip hem. I could see Kinsley watching me, a slight look of surprise when  picked up the dress to try it on, both of us probably thinking the same thing. It was a lot more feminine, and more delicate than the other things I wore, but it caught my eye after I tried it on, and I decided I liked the way it looked. After it was purchased, the five of us headed out into the air to find a place for dinner, and after another few hours, we left the restaurant, heading our own ways.

        Stella and Kara were going back to Stella's apartment, Lauren was going with Zack, and Kinsley was taking me back to our apartment. I hadn't decided if I was going back to Jack's or not, but I knew I needed to go back to my own apartment to shower and change clothes. It depended on how long Jack was going to be at Rian's, and I'd only heard form him a few times today, so I assumed the guys were wrapped up in their violent video games or something.

        I found that after I got out of the shower, I had a text from Jack. I opened the message with my toothbrush hanging from my lips, reading the words from Jack asking about how the day went. I smiled, mouth closing around the bush as I held my phone in both hands, typing back a quick message before setting it down on the counter to finish brushing my teeth. My phone vibrated again against the white countertop, but I ignored it until I finished brushing.

        I picked my phone up from the counter, reading the message as I left the bathroom, one hand puling at the hem of my shorts that folded up as I was standing in front of the sink.

        I told you it'd be fine. You should listen to me more often ;)

        I chewed on my lip, holding back a smile as I walked, hoping I wouldn't walk into anything. I entered the living space of the apartment, the TV on as usual with Porter and Maverick parked in front of it. I only assumed Kinsley and Xavier had retreated to their room.

        "You ditching us again tonight?" Maverick asked me from his place on the sofa, making me tear my eyes away from the half-written message.

        "Why, you miss me?" I asked, giving him a teasing look.

        "Absolutely. By the end of the day, I'm just dying to spend time with you," Maverick said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

        "Hey, there's no need to deny it. I already knew that," I grinned at him, moving around the couch to sit on the opposite end of Porter. "You're just bitter because you haven't gotten it in since you were sixteen, your junior year," I continued, looking up at him after I sent the text. "Five years can make a kid bitter."

        "Hey! It hasn't been that long," Maverick exclaimed defensively.

        "Oh, sorry, four years? Three?" I wondered, watching him with a plaful, curious expression.

        "Wheneber he started smoking," Porter chimed in. "That's the last time he got a girl."

        "Yeah, so four years," I said, nodding to Porter.

        "Fuck off, both of you," Maverick said angirly.

        "Aw, poor Mav," I cooed, watching both of his middle fingers shoot in my direction. Porter and I both just laughed, shaking my heads as my phone buzzed in my hand. I walked towards my bedroom, Maverick grumbling something under his breath that I couldn't make out. I let Porter handle another bantering remark as I stepped into my bedroom, closing the door behind me.

        I sat heavily on my bed, pulling my laptop to my knees, settling into the mattress I hadn't slept on in days. I connected to the wireless of the apartment, pulling my shirt down around my waist as I double clicked my icon for Skype, a request from Jack pending on the screen.

        I opened my iTunes library while I was waiting, turning music on at a low volume, a habit I always had when I was by myself, as long as I wasn't trying to write. The music started playing gently, an old song by Blink-182, as a small box appeared in the middle of my screen, signaling an incoming message from Jack. I accepted it, leaning forward as my computer loaded the video, and Jack's face appeared, dimly lit in the lighting of what looked like his kitchen.

        "Hello, Love," Jack's voice sounded through the speakers.

        "Hi," I smiled, leaning my elbows on my knees while I twisted a damp strand of hair around my finger, feeling a few small drops of water squeeze from my finger down onto my skin. "What're you doing?"

        "Not much," he responded, holding a hand up to show a beer bottle dangling in his fingers.

        "Drinking by yourself? Pathetic," I teased, smirking at him.

        "I could've had you here with me," he said, tipping the bottle back against his lips.

        "I spend all of my free time with you."

        "So, that doesn't mean I can't want you here. I'm used to spending all day with you. I miss you."

        "Are you serious? I just saw you this morning," I laughed, still twisting strands of hair around my finger. "Like twelve hours ago. That's not al ong time."

        "Oh, Jack I miss you too," Jack said, his voice rising to a higher pitch as he pretended ot be me saying those words. "I can't stand not being around you all day." I laughed as he watched me with a raised eyebrow, waiting. I sighed, shaking my head.

         "Alright, alright, stop. I miss you too."