Chapter 30: Harder

"And where exactly are we going?" Rian asked Holly, looking up at her while the escalator moved from under our feet. I squinted against the bright lights on the buildings surrounding us, unable to comprehent the necessity of a moving staircase outside this way. The only time I ever saw those was if I were at a mall or airport, they didn't exist outside back home.

        I hadn't realized how tall she was until I was five feet lower than her, trailing behind Jack, Lauren, Zack, Alex, Stella, Rian and Cassadee. The air was warm tonight, something I was happy with. It allowed me to wear a destroyed black top, sides slightly exposed through the sids that ran horizontally down my sides and a pair of dark jeans.

        I tried to ignore the sensation in my gut, the way Jack looked down at me with a smirk. The way his arm wrapped around Holly's thin, thirty-two year old waist. I itched to do something about it, only because I couldn't have him the same way I could have all tour. He was so willing, and I turned him down multiple times. With his girlfriend right there, even if it was only lust, I felt it tingling throughout my veins.

        I looked at the fifty story hotels surrounding us, trying to take in just how big this strip was. I could see the water fountain show in front of the Bellagio Hotel and the pirate ship in front of Treasure Island. The lights blinked continuously, drawing in tourists to peep shows and large, overly priced resturants. There was a constant ringing of slot machines in my ears, even when you were thirty feet from the building. Cars were beeping, headlights inching forward in heavy traffic, trying to get their paying customers to their desintations.

        This city was almost too much for me to handle.

        "I didn't know you had a tattoo," Stephen interrupted my thoughts, lips brushing my ear while he attempted to hold a conversation. It was the distraction I needed, because when I turned to meet his eyes, his fingers tugged a small piece of fabric around my waist, gazing at the large, distorted words printed down my side, stopping just above where my shirts always cut off.

        There were crowds of people walking in groups, almost too loud to hear anything else anyone was saying. At night, Vegas came to life, and I knew that without being here once before.

        "I could show you what it looks like later," I suggest with my irises, biting on the inside of my lip. He chuckled, warm fingers moving smoothly to my lower back, rubbing softly.

        "I can't argue with that," he said quietly, offering a crooked smile in my direction.

        It was so easy to drown out the noise of the smaller group that decided to go out with Holly. Yellowcard had wanted to gamble, including Brian, Xavier, Porer, Josh, Jess, Alex, Pat and Mike in their plans. The large bunch had withered down to a smaller group, an dI had a better chance of getting into a club than playing cards.

        Vinny walked ahead of Stephen and me once we got to the top of the moving stairs, joining the group quckly by jumping on Zack's hack, yelping about wanting to get to wherever we were going. My wedges tapped against the ground, and I let the group wander ahead of us.

        What was funny was that Jack thought he was winning this game. The thing was I knew how to play the game so much better than he did, even if he didn't realize it yet.

        The distance I allowed between Stephen and I and the group was big enough to notice. Stephen had retracted his hand from my side minutes before, but I reached the small distance between our bodies, giving the corner of his black and blue Famous Stars and Stripes t-shirt a tug to gain his attention.

        I couldn't help but notice the dark haired boy leading the group falter when he turned to see us, smiling at each other, Stephen's hand running down the length of my forearm.