Chapter 27: Probably Not

"So, what the hell was up with you and Stephen last night?" Kinsley asked me while we were standing next to the merch tent. There were a few kids around, most had gone to watch The Summer Set's set which started almost forty minutes ago. Xavier was standig behind her seat, hands on her shoulders lightly while Porter and Maverick watched the show somewhere.

        "What are you talking about?" I asked, distratced by my phone. My mom was continuously texting me, asking how everything was. I was thankful to avoid a call from her, though. She would have got my dad on the line and then it would've been a three way conversation that made me feel awkward with all the pauses because there wasn't really much to tell her.

        "Well, maybe the fact that you guys basically fucked between the busses last night, and absolutely everyone watched you," she pointed out, making Zave cringe. I chuckled, turning my head to face them compltely.

        "Way to make it sound more vulgar than it was, Kins," I shook my head. "We made out, that's it. Not a huge deal," I let it roll off, remembering that he was a better kisser than I thought he'd be.

        "I didn't even know you liked Stephen," Zave muttered to himself, loud enough for me to hear above the noise. My ears were popping from the speakers and screaming.

        "Oh, I don't," I said, eyebrows knit together. Why would he think that? He knew me well enough to know that I never liked anyone. "It just happened."

        "I just figured you'd hook up with John before Stephen. You guys talk way more," he said, shrugging. I sent the same gesture back in his direction, hearing the final cord of a song fade out loudly.

        "Guess his brother beat him to the punch," I said, winking before standing from my folding chair. I was done with the conversation because I knew if I stuck around long enough, I was going to hear it from Kinsley, "We're both just having fun, anyway."

        "Does he know that?" Kinsley questioned, blonde hair pinned back.

        I rolled my eyes at her, shaking my head. "I think I have everything under control, thanks though."

        It was like her to make comments about my relationships and honestly, I didn't care to hear a single one of them. It wasn't anyone's business but my own when it came to whom I was kissing, talking to, having sex with or anything of the sort. She always had to put her two-sense in somewhere, always. With Xavier standing there, an older brother who was more than willing to point out my mistakes, it was just asking for trouble.

        The lights turned on just slightly when I walked around the side of our table, and I realize their set was over. It was the perfect opportunity for me to escape and be away from the couple of the year for a few hours. I didn't feel like arguing, it wasn't something I enjoyed if not necessary.

        After pushing past some of the crowd, and wandering back to the side of the stage, security let me pass effortless. I slipped past the barriers and to the side of the curtain where Yellowcard and Hey Monday were waiting. The Summer Set must have already been down at their signing, because they were nowhere to be found, and the stage crew was moving around, trying to set up for Yellowcard to go on as soon as possible. They tried to move the show along quickly because it always ended up lasting longer than scheduled.

        I didn't move from my spot, not wanting to get in the way of anyone. Lauren was back here, and I could see her standing next to Zack, hitting his chest with a laugh. It was almost funny to see our manager, knowing she was sleeping with a guy from another band.

        "I thought you didn't date," Jack's voice entered my left ear, causing me to jerk to the noise. He leaned against the wall, hands fixed in the pockets of his dark jeans. He was wearing the Young and Reckless t-shirt, the same deep purple that was my favorite.

        My eyebrows knit together, crossing my arms over my chest before looking down at my shoes. They scuffled against the floor while I tried to think about what he was talking about.

        "I don't?" I questioned, meeting his gaze. His grin grew into a beaming smile, baring his teeth at me. His hair fixed over his right eye, and I stared into his left intently.

        "You seem to be getting pretty cozy with Stephen last night," he noted with a shrug. I saw the way he was trying to play it off casually, like it didn't mean anything to him. I let out a small laugh, one side of my mouth turning up slightly.        

        "I'm not allowed to kiss a guy and not be dating him?" I questioned, planting the information in his head subtly. For whatever reason, he thought I was going to be coy about the subject because he raised his eyebrows when I spoke.

        "They usually just come hand-in-hand with each other," he said, looking down at me again. I noticed how he looked at me, the way his brown irises were looking at me. The shameless gaze he held over me, mouth twitching up.

        "Why are you so interested in my relationships?" I asked with a hinting tone to my voice. "Or, lack thereof?"

        "Just seeing who you're wasting your time with," he winked, and I rolled my eyes.

        "I'm not wasting my time. Stephen's a good guy," I tried to defend him, licking my lips. "Oh, and he's a great kisser."

        "I know someone who's a better kisser," He said, body leaning towards mine. I picked myself off of the wall, a small breath leaving my mouth. "And I've heard he's fantastic in bed."

        "Mike Gentile, Josh Montgomery, Ryan Mendez?" I asked, eyebrows shooting up. His smile only got bigger when I put my hands in my back pockets, tilting my head to the side to look at him.

        "Nah, this guy is really fucking good looking, you know?" he continued to play along, and I forged confusion for a moment, "A really nice body."

        "Rian Dawson, Zack Merrick?" I asked before snapping my fingers. "I know, Ryan Key!"

        "He's funny too, like a fucknig comedy genius," he was getting a kick out of this conversation.

        "Alex Gaskarth? How about Patrick McKenzie or John Gomez?"

        "He's the nicest guy around, like he'd save someone's dog from a burning house. A fucking saint, this kid is."

        "Alex Lipshaw, Longineu, Seah Mackin, Brian Dales?" I kept going, running out of names to rattle off. "Am I getting warmer?"

        "I think you're missing someone," he taunted, reaching his foot out to tap mine. I smiled and shook my head.

        "Nope, I think I got everyone," I nibbled on my bottom lip softly, leaning on my left leg. "Guess I'll never know then. Tragic."

        "You'll be sorry one day," he flipped his hair out of his face, wiggling his eyebrows at me, and I laughed.

        "Maybe," I let the thought sink in before shaking my head. "But probably not."