Chapter 35: Thinking

I slipped out of All Time Low's bus, the early morning air a cool contrast to the warmth from the inside of the bus, partially due to Jack's constant presence behind me. I clutched my shoes and shirt in my hands as I walked cautiously on the rocky pavement, crossing the few yards to my own bus door, small stones digging at the soles of my feet. It was almost completely silent, the only sound being a small amount of early morning traffic and the chirping of birds.

        I eased the door to our bus open, slipping silently inside, feeling the silence bringing out the headache I'd momentarily forgotten about. As I stepped into the bus, I planned to find some Advil and retreat to my own bunk, needing much more sleep than I'd gotten.

        The first thing I noticed was Maverick sprawled out on the couch, his shirt riding up his stomach, exposing the lining of his boxers. His mouth was hanging open slightly, arm hanging off the side of the couch, chest rising and falling steadily as he breathed. I shook my head, an entertained grin forming on my mouth as I tip-toed further down the bus.

        I knew I didn't have to worry about waking up either Porter or Maverick, knowing full well that they could sleep through almost anything, especially after drinking, but Kinsley and Xavier were light sleepers, and there was a better chance of them waking up. I wasn't up for explaning anything to them at the moment, so I kept my movements silent, as cautious as I could be.

        I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and found the bottle of Advil, tipping four into my mouth and swallowing them with a large amount of water. I set the water bottle back into the fridge, dropping my shoes and shirt slightly under the table before walking quietly towards Maverick on the couch, needing to reach the small drawers above his sleeping body. I opened one, fishing around for new underwear and a pair of yoga pants to change into.

        I changed in the bathroom, pulling a tank-top on over my bra before zipping Jack's sweatshirt back up. I crumpled my dirty clothes into a ball, placing them at the end of my bunk before starting to pull myself up.

        I was relieved that I hadn't woken anyone up, and I felt myself falling asleep almost immediately as I pulled the curtain shut, closing me in darkness and the small space of my bunk. I curled up under the sheets, closing my eyes and falling asleep automatically, relieved from the headache and drowsiness that I'd quickly started to feel.

        My eyes stayed shut for a while, opening hours later, although it felt like much less, to the curtain being pulled back again, light flooded into the bunk.

        I didn't even need a person's voice to wake me up, the sudden flood of light was enough. I squinted, my eyes blinking rapidly to adjust to the light.

        "Rise and shine, princess. We've stopped for lunch and your presence is requested," Kinsley's voice rang in my ear, loud and bubbly already. I hadn't noticed how much she drank last night, but that probably wouldn't have mattered. She could handle mornings and hangovers like a pro.

        "Fantastic," I mumbled, rolling over onto my back, rubbing my eyes. Kinsley laughed, voice coming out somewhere by my head.

        "You know, I heard you come in pretty early this morning," she said quietly, gaining my attention. I turned my head towards her, seeing her expectant expression, waiting to hear my reason.

        "Yeah? What are you, my mother?" I questioned, hearing her laugh again, too accustomed to my morning attitude to take anything I said seriously.

        "So, who were you with, Stephen?" she questioned, watching me carefully as I shook my head. I wanted to roll my eyes, tellnig here that there wasn't anything to find out, but we both knew I'd tell her my whereabouts anyway. There was really no use trying to fight her, but I needed a minute to wake myself up before hearing her anticipated squeals in my ears.

        "No," I muttered, motioning for her to move out of the way. She took a few steps back, allowing me to roll out of the bunk, landing steadily on two feet. I adjusted to the movement for a moment before taking slow steps towards the bathroom.

        I heard her gasp behind me, knowing who I'd been with without having to say his name.

        "I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!  I knew it!" she exclaimed, probably skipping behind me happily as I slid into the bathroom, running the cold tap. I left the door open, allowing the conversation between us, as little as i would have liked it to.

        "So, what happened?"

        "I don't think that's any of your business."

        "You slept with him?" she questioned, voice coming out a harsh whisper. "I was so right!" I shook my head quickly, taking a towel to wipe the dripping water from my face, regretting my choice of words.

        "No," I said. "That was a shitty choice of words. We were on the couch of the bus, Kins, anyone could have walked in. We're not stupid. We didn't go that far." I leaned towards the mirror, fixing the mascara and eyeliner I'd had on my face, before turning to her, flipping the hood of the sweatshirt up, covering the messy bun my hair was in.

        "Come on, let's go," I said, moving past her before she had the chance to say anything else. She followed behind me, babbling on without my paying any attention. At one point, she mentioned the sweatshirt I was wearing, and I gave her a short response, confirming her suspicions that it was Jack's.

        Her voice faltered as we stepped outside, joining the rest of the band members and crew slowly making their way into the restaurant. To my left, Stephen was following Jess and John out of their bus, and his eyes travelled to my face. I pretended I hadn't noticed, eyes floating across the parking lot towards our left. The door to All Time Low's bus was shut, as were the doors to Hey Monday and Yellowcard's bus. I assumed most people were inside already.

        "Eager to see someone again?" Kinsley questioned, eyes shining as she walked beside me.

        "You know, this is why I never tell you things," I said quietly, staring at her. She just smiled, eyes darting forward.

        "That's okay, I think he's looking for you too," she said softly, eyes dancing between my face and somebody in front of us before she disappeared, moving forward at a quicker pace than I was, entering the building behind The Summer Set. My gaze turned to the building, a tall frame leaning against the door, face hidden behind a hat and sunglasses. I felt a smirk pull up onto my lips as I neared him, knowing his eyes were on me even if I couldn't see them.

        "Trying to hide a hangover?" I questioned, stopping just short of him. I looked at him; eyes squinted slightly in the bright afternoon sun.

        "The sweatshirt looks good on you," he muttered, ignoring my comment. I could feel his eyes traveling the length of my body.

        "Oh, this little thing? It's just something I stole from a friend," I shrugged.

        "A friend, huh?" he mused, coming closer. "I think I'd classify us as a little more than friends, love."

        "Hm, really? What would you classify us as then?" I wondered, giving him a curious look.

        "Definitely not just friends," he smirked, stepping closer again. I tilted my head back further to keep my eyes on his face as he closed the space between us.

        "So, enemies?"

        "I don't think enemines have the kind of night we did last night."

        "Well, I don't think that leaves any other options," I said, watching his eyes shine, enjoying the game we were playing.

        "I think it does," he grinned.

        "Hm, want to know what I think?" I smirked, reachung back to pull the door open, taking a few steps into the doorway. "This 'thinking' is making me hungry." I turned to Jack, pausing momentarily. "You coming or what?"