A Chance towards Happiness

By Senaminyaaan

A fanfiction for Lout of the Count's Family written by Yu Ryeo Han. I do not own the Lout of the Count's Fami... More

Prologue: The War 20 Years Later
Chapter one: Starting Point
Chapter two: Some Fate will Remain Unchanged
Chapter three: A Little Taste of his Gift
Chapter four: Changing Bonds
Chapter five: Blood doesn't make Family
Chapter six: Time to Power Up!
Chapter seven: Whale Tribe
Chapter eight: The Lout
Chapter nine: Idleness
Chapter ten: Knowing what's Important
Chapter eleven: Ties greater than blood
Chapter twelve: Beloved being
Chapter thirteen: Building bridges¹
Chapter fourteen: Back to the salt mines
Chapter fifteen: Actions are the seed of fate
Chapter sixteen: A promise carried by the wind
Chapter seventeen: Fields of hope
Chapter eighteen: Dragons and their selfish desires
Chapter nineteen: Busted
Chapter twenty: Cale's adventure team
Chapter twenty one: Rainbow after a little rain
Chapter twenty two: Fated to exist
Chapter twenty three: Make a wish
Special Chapter 1: Death Anniversary
Chapter twenty four: A mortal's limit
Chapter twenty five: A snake, a whale and a vampire
Chapter twenty six: Here comes the hero!
Chapter twenty-eight: One's philosophy
Chapter twenty-nine: Great misunderstandings may lead to another mess
Chapter thirty: The night of the tragedy
Chapter thirty-one: Those who have been left behind
Chapter thirty-two: Cale from a thousand years
Chapter thirty-three: Into the modern world
Chapter thirty-four: Song of Mortality
Chapter thirty-five: Lost Traveler
Chapter thirty-six: The end of his journey
Chapter thirty-seven: Awakened
Chapter thirty-eight: Cats on the alley
Chapter thirty-nine: Terror Plaza Incident
Chapter forty: An inch of time is an inch of gold
Chapter forty one: Things will be different this time
Chapter forty two: The truth
Chapter forty three: A charm that can calm a wild beast
Chapter forty four: Give and take
Chapter forty five: A day with the Henituse' siblings!
Chapter forty six: Let the show begin
Chapter forty seven: 2 months probation
Chapter forty eight: Whipper Kingdom
Chapter forty nine: Body of earth
Chapter fifty: No longer alone
Chapter fifty one: Maybe we got lost in translation
Chapter fifty two: Family means nobody gets left behind
Chapter fifty three: Confrontation
Chapter fifty four: Connecting the dots
Chapter fifty five: The captured redhead
Chapter fifty six: Casually strolling in the enemy's base
Chapter fifty seven: The mind contradicts what the heart wants
Chapter fifty eight: The mightiest being
Chapter fifty-nine: To Keep you Safe
Chapter sixty: Different than what's expected
Chapter sixty one: People's love

Chapter twenty-seven: Days gone by

2.1K 143 31
By Senaminyaaan

After meeting with Choi Han, Cale visits him thrice a week and they would always talk about trivial things. Sometimes, Cale would also teach Choi Han important matters that will help the hero once he steps out of the village. He was also improving in learning the Rowoon Kingdom's language. If Choi Han had a lot of time to spare, Cale would teleport him to a town for him to have a practical application for the things he learned from the redhead. His language and culture study were successful much to Cale's joy. Now, Choi Han won't have any problems when the time comes.

Cale settled and didn't go or involve himself in anything dangerous after receiving some warnings from the gods. He still couldn't pinpoint how he could assimilate his body to his soul. The gap was too great and he was having trouble trying to look for ways. The gods didn't help him at all. That's why he set it aside.

On Cale's thirteenth birthday, Alver, Taylor, Cage, and Clopeh visited him and wished him a happy birthday. The four individuals brought him the greatest and luxurious gift. Alver somehow didn't like how Clopeh acted around Cale. The prince would always get in their way, the same with Taylor. Eric and his group were somewhat surprised to see another bunch getting along with Cale. He was glad as his elder since Cale wouldn't get lonely once he decided to attend the nobles' banquets. Cale told Eric and the others to keep what they see a secret. Eric, Amiru and Gilbert were no fools, they knew how greedy nobles were and they certainly wouldn't say something that might trouble Cale. They love Cale as their youngest and they pampered him alot.

Since Cale liked shiny and pretty things, King Zed Crossman gifted him a lot of high to highest quality gemstones. An anonymous sender, which Cale later discovered was Fredo, gave him a lot of gold bars and books only available in the Endable Kingdom. He also received a gift from the Duke of Sekka.

Wow, isn't this a ... lot? Cale thought as he stared at the bunch of gifts he received.

Cale didn't forget to thank them, of course. As gratitude, he played and sang a song for everyone who attended his small party and for the people who gifted him.

After Cale's simple birthday banquet, he took a rest since he got tired too fast. Ever since it was revealed to him that his body was not compatible with his soul, Cale would get tired and sleep a lot.

The next day, Cale and Alver were having tea time in the greenhouse. They mostly talked about the prince's life inside the palace.

"You look tired, hyung," Cale said as he sipped on his tea.

"Well, I have a lot of things to do in the palace. Since I do not have the same noble support as my brothers so I have to work double," Alver replied as he put a cookie in his mouth.

"I see, my hyung is working hard," Cale smiled.

"Good thing I came here to see you, my fatigue went away!" Alver laughed.

"Ha, you better be," Cale grinned. Both laughed.

Deruth and Zed, the current King of Rowoon Kingdom, were taking a stroll around the Estate when they saw Cale and Alver in the greenhouse.

"It seems our sons are getting along really well. Their mothers would be happy seeing how close they are," King Zed mentioned as he looked at the two children fondly.

"Yeah, I always wondered how Cale befriended the prince but it seems my son was the one who barged into your palace," Deruth responded as he remembered what his son told him before.

"That's right! I was really surprised to see him sleeping on my bed that day. I thought you were neglecting your son that made him run away," Zed said. Somehow, Deruth felt a pang in his chest since the king wasn't entirely wrong.

"I really did and regretted it. That's why I am making up for my mistakes so Cale won't feel lonely in our home," Deruth responded truthfully.

"I even considered adopting your son, you know!" Zed laughed.

"You can't have my son," Deruth replied.

"By the way, you didn't come here just to attend my son's birthday banquet. You must have things you need to personally address in our territory," Deruth continued then the King's expression changed.

"That's right. We could continue this matter in your office since it shouldn't be said where a lot of people could hear," King Zed replied. Then the two went to Deruth's office to continue their conversation.

Going back to Cale and Alver, they continued chatting and along their conversation the first prince mentioned he needed a sword instructor. No one was competent enough for Alver to learn from, since all his instructors were assigned by the Queen—and the Queen hated him.

"I see, I'll help you find an instructor if you want. I know someone who can help you, however I have no intention of revealing the person to everyone. I don't want to drag him into the affairs of aristocrats," Cale told him.

"I understand. That would be nice since those greedy nobles will do their best to covet what I have," Alver replied.

"I also wished to raise my strength in secret," Alver added.

"I see, I'll talk to him later, you can come with me if you want so you two could meet," Cale responded. Alver was curious about the person Cale was talking about since he has a high regard towards the mysterious person.

"Cale!" Clopeh called and behind him were Cage and Taylor with Cale's brother and sister.

"Oh, what are you all doing here?" Cale asked. Lily looked like she cried, the redhead approached her and wiped her tears.

"Hyung, Lily was looking for you and father told us you are here with the prince," Basen answered.

"Ugh, it's unfair that the prince can have you all by himself and we are here waiting for our turn! However it seems the prince has no intention of letting you go yet. Not because he's a prince he has the right to hog you all to himself," Clopeh protested. Alver felt embarrassed by Clopeh's claims but he remained calm.

"Hm? He's not doing that, though?" Cale responded. Alver side-eyed the redhead and felt relief he didn't notice.

"We've been waiting for you and the prince to finish your conversation but it seems longer than we expected," Taylor shyly laughed.

"Oh, is that so? I didn't notice at all," Cale replied. All of them except the redhead and Lily smiled at how oblivious Cale was.

"Hyung, I want to make flower crowns," Lily said. The redhead's little sister could now speak fluently and it made their parents proud.

"Hm, you cannot call me 'hyung', Lily. Call me 'oppa'," Cale corrected as he scooped up Lily and placed her on his lap.

"Oppa?"

"Yes, 'oppa'. Only boys could use hyung as an address to older men and oppa for girls to address older men," Cale said.

"Okay, oppa," Lily smiled. Cale carried Lily to the garden filled with lily flowers, Alver and the others followed them.

"Since my sister wants to create flower crowns, I'll indulge my sister's wants first. I hope you understand," Cale smiled towards his visitors.

"Of course, Cale-nim. I understand, I know you prioritize your family first!" Clopeh cheerfully responded. Cale smiled.

Cale and the others started making flower crowns. Cale was teaching his brother and sister how to make them, he didn't notice how messy the others were. Cale plucked different colored lily flowers to create flower wreaths. After he finished making Lily's flower crown, he placed it on top of his sister's head. Then, he proceeds to create another one for Basen. He picked dahlia flowers and made a flower crown out of it, Basen was watching his brother how it was done and tried to follow suit.

Cale was an expert in making flower crowns as he and his mother would always make one. After making Basen's flower crown, he placed it on top of his brother's head. Then, he turned to see the others and frowned upon seeing how they messed up his garden.

"What the hell are you doing?! You're destroying my garden!" Cale raised his voice.

"We're sorry, Cale. We are also trying to make you a flower crown too," Alver responded. Then, Cale used his inherited gift and bloomed another batch of flowers in the garden to make up for the mess. Clopeh's eyes shone.

"I'll teach you how to make one," Cale said and slowly taught them how to.

Cale made sure that the flowers they will be using don't have any thorns so they won't get injured. Alver created a perfect flower crown, as if it wasn't his first time. The prince placed it on top of Cale's head. The flower crown Alver made was composed of dark pink camellias* with the combination of baby's breath*. Clopeh didn't lose as he created a flower bracelet composed of anemone* and amaryllis and gave it to Cale. It somehow became a competition to see who among them would create the best flower crown, and Cale just let them do whatever they wanted.

Violan, accompanied by her maids, were on their way to the greenhouse to check up on her sons and daughter. One of the maids brought snacks and refreshments for the children. Before she could enter, she could hear the cheerful voice of her daughter and the laughter of her sons and his friends. She took a peek and felt warm seeing how they had accepted Basen even though he does not share the same blood as Cale.

"Mother?" Cale called as he noticed her. She entered the greenhouse.

"Did I interrupt you?" Violan asked.

"No, you did not, mother," Cale answered. Violan could see her redhead son was adorned by a lot of flowers, one would think he was a fairy of this garden.

"Ma, Oppa made me a flower crown, look!" Lily walked towards her as she proudly showed the crown made by Cale.

"It's really pretty," Violan praised, she also noticed Basen has one too.

"I will not stay here, I just came to check up on you. Here's some snacks for all of you," Violan said. All of them smiled and thanked her. Just like what she said, she didn't stay long and went back to the house with Lily and Basen, since the two got tired already and got sleepy.

Cale and the others consumed the snacks given to them and chatted. After getting tired themselves, they went back to the house. Taylor, Cage and Clopeh went back home. The King also returned to the palace, leaving Alver. The prince would be staying for another two days in the Henituse Estate.

That night, Cale, Youna and Alver snuck out to go to the Forest of Darkness. The redhead would make Choi Han acquainted with the prince just in case something went wrong with his body. The black-haired hero was still doing his late night training inside the dangerous forest.

"Choi Han!" Cale called.

Upon hearing the familiar voice, Choi Han turned and saw his red-haired fairy friend. However, Cale wasn't alone, he could see a blond teenager with him.

"Hello, Choi Han. Seems like you're still training," Cale spoke.

"Yes, I couldn't settle without moving my body like this," Choi Han answered as he glanced at Alver.

"Oh, this is my friend, Alver. Alver-hyung, this is Choi Han," Cale introduced. The two just nodded as a greeting.

"Choi Han, you're strong, right? He actually needs an instructor and I would like to ask you to fill that spot," Cale straightforwardly said. Choi Han made a face that he needed more explanation.

"You see, Alver-hyung wanted to get stronger too. But the instructors assigned to him were all useless and incompetent. He badly needed someone who is strong and would take his training seriously," Cale explained. The redhead couldn't reveal that Alver was a prince unless his hyung would be the one to tell Choi Han.

One way or another, Choi Han got the gist of Cale's request. However, before the hero could say something, Alver beat him to it.

"I am actually the first prince of this kingdom. I don't have the luxury of my father's, the King, favor and the nobles' support. All I could do is currently raise my strength in secret so the Queen wouldn't go after my head. I am currently weak and I wish to get stronger for the sake of my people," Alver honestly expressed his thoughts which surprised Cale.

This prince hyung hasn't changed. He was like this too in my first life. A king who dies for the sake of protecting his people, Cale closed his eyes as he reminisced about the past.

"I see. I seem to understand your position and I am glad someone who seeks my help is a good person," Choi Han smiled.

"But where should we conduct our training? You said you wanted to raise your strength in secret, so I presume you wouldn't do it in your palace?" Choi Han asked.

"Hm, I'll be providing you a place. Follow me," Cale said.

The two followed Cale and the invisible Youna to the Super Rock Villa. Nobody would know, aside from them, this place. Cale already asked Youna to create a teleportation scroll leading to this place and he would be giving one to Alver.

"Wow, I didn't know something like this existed inside this dangerous forest," Alver gaped in awe. He didn't expect the place to be this luxurious.

"This place is safe, no monsters will come inside this place and nobody knows this location except for us present here and one of my knights," Cale said.

"This place is perfect, Cale," Alver said. Cale smiled.

They walked inside the luxurious mansion and Cale told them they could choose any rooms from the third and fourth floor since he was occupying the fifth floor.

"I could also conduct my training here every once in a while," Choi Han said.

"Yes, feel free to use this place," Cale responded.

"I'll never forget this kindness, Cale," Alver sincerely smiled. The redhead didn't reply and just smiled back.

This is the least I could do to prepare you and to repay the kindness you showed me in my first life, Cale thought.

"Hyung, you could bring your trusted chef and aid here to cook for and look after you when you train. I am not judging your cooking skills but I want to make sure none of you will make a mess in the kitchen," Cale reminded. Choi Han somehow flinched and blushed, which made Cale think Choi Han couldn't cook.

"I know a thing or two about cooking, to be safe I'll bring my trusted ched here," Alver replied.

Cale, if you're giving this place to them we won't have our own secret base, Youna spoke into Cale's mind.

Don't worry about it, I think I found a suitable place for us to call a secret base, Cale responded to Youna.

After finding a room for Alver and Choi Han, they all went back after deciding on their first day of training. Cale won't be able to watch them train since he'll start to get busy as his deadline is coming near. Now that he has reconnected the future king and hero, all he needs to do now is to establish his own base of operation, in other words another secret base. It was now time for Cale to contact the Mercenary King since he needed people to work for him.

Few days later, Alver went back to the Capital. Cale wrote a letter with his contact information for the Mercenary King to call him.

Sound of the Wind, can you hear me? Cale spoke in his mind.

Cale? What is it? The Sound of the Wind responded.

I would like to ask for your permission to use the Wind Island as my new secret base, Cale asked.

Cale, you're free to do whatever you want on that island. You purified and made the island alive once again, you also gave peace to my fallen family and friends. You can have that island, the Sound of the Wind responded, sounding rather happy.

Thank you, I'll use it well, Cale smiled.

"Cale! Someone's calling!" Youna barged in his room.

"About time!" Cale said as Youna answered the call.

[It's been a while, Young Master Cale] Bud greeted with a smile.

"Bud, give me the Wind Island. Nobody owned it anyway, right? Since it is a restricted area," Cale cut the chase. Bud laughed.

[Alright, the whole Eastern Continent was in turmoil the past year since the Wind Island disappeared. You made it happen and nobody could use it aside from you, right?]

"Wow, you're so smart, Bud," Cale clapped his hand sarcastically.

[What do you plan on doing, Young Master?]

"I plan on taking down a certain organization and I need that place as my base of operations. My enemy is based in the Eastern Continent and it will be pretty neat to keep them in check near them," Cale answered with a smirk as he rested his chin on the back of his hand.

[I seem to know what organization you're talking about. However, that organization is strong. Yes, you are strong but that might not be enough]

"Who said I'd be the one fighting? I have no plans on revealing myself, you know. I need people to work for me and taking that organization down isn't impossible," Cale's expression turned serious.

[Seeing how optimistic you are makes me think that it is really possible. Alright, I'll believe in you. So what do you want me to do?]

"I'll be sending you an artifact for you and your mage, I'll be visiting the Wind Island a month from now. For now, I'll be sending you some names and I want you to look for them and bring them to me," Cale responded.

[Understood. I'm looking forward seeing you next time]

Cale wrote all his plans in one of his treasured diary, in case he was incapable of doing so. He needed to do something to protect the people he cared for and loved. Cale would tell Youna his secret and he would entrust his diaries if something terrible happens to him. He may be a divine being however he couldn't predict the future. After writing his plans, he drew and envisioned what kind of place he would create in the Wind Island. The only access to that island once he made it his secret base was the teleportation system only. This would make their base of operation secured and safe. He also removed its original coordinates and changed it. The Wind Island, unknowingly, became his own domain—similar to those of gods' domains.

A month later, Cale, along with the three dragons, arrived at the Wind Island. Bud Illis and Glenn Poeff were waiting for them in the Wind Island.

"Man, I still can't believe that the once dead island is now flourishing. I didn't think this is possible," Bud Illis spoke, then he spotted the red-haired child who healed the whole island.

"It's been a while, Bud," Cale greeted with a smile.

"You're getting more refined and elegant compared to last time, Young Master," Bud complimented.

"Enough with your pleasantries, did you find the people I asked you?" Cale asked.

"Of course, I did everything you asked, dear Cale," Bud answered confidently.

"I see, bring them here. I want to speak to them," Cale smiled.

"Grandpa Olienne, can you accompany this sir mage? So you could teleport them here? Since you and the mage are the only ones who could enter this place," Cale added. Olienne sighed.

"You're the only one who could order a dragon like me," Olienne responded and then turned to Glenn.

"Grandpa Olienne is a nice dragon, I asked him to accompany you so he could help you teleport the people since the artifact I've given you is only exclusive for you only," Cale said to Glenn.

"It is my honor to be accompanied by a dragon, we'll be back Young Master Cale," Glenn said then they vanished.

"I'll start working here," Cale said as soon as they no longer see the two.

Cale concentrated all his divine power on his chest, when he gathered the sufficient energy he needed, he activated his inherited ability. His hair and eyes glowed gold as he released and created from his power. Bud gasped as he saw how Cale spread the plants and trees and created new plants. Cale created large trees enough to fit people inside. He built a large, five story french chateau made of trees and marbles in the middle of the island. Newly added big trees and vines surrounded the house as if to hide it. The flowers that bloomed anew were glowing like it was straight from a fairy tale. The mushrooms were big, one could bounce off if people jumped on it. Cale created a training facility outside the mansion, then there was a playground, a lake on the back and a fountain in front. There was also a gazebo and a greenhouse similar to the one in the Henituse Estate.

Youna and Eruhaben were surprised, the red dragon was already aware of Cale's powers while Eruhaben, it was his first time seeing it. He was truly fascinated. Olienne and Glenn, along with the people Cale asked for, came back and they were surprised to see Cale using his powers.

Cale finalized his creation and after ten minutes, he was done. The redhead took a deep breath and staggered. Bud immediately assisted him.

"Sorry, I got tired," Cale said and closed his eyes for a while.

"Cale, are you okay?" Youna asked as he placed his palm on Cale's forehead.

"Yes, I am fine," Cale answered. He then turned to the newly arrived people.

"Pardon me, you have to see me this way," Cale added.

"I-It's alright," one of them said.

Cale rested for a while under one of the trees he created. Olienne brewed his special tea for them. Cale stretched his body.

After an hour, Cale talked to his guests, Freesia was the name of their supposed leader. The redhead persuaded Freesia to work for him since she was an assassin and they specialize in information gathering. They arrived at a consensus that Freesia and his people will be under Cale's protection as long as they will keep what they saw today a secret and not a single word will be revealed to the others unless they have agreed to. Cale chanted his pinky promise—since its effect was the same as the Vow of Death the only difference was the violator would be punished depending on what punishment was given when it was chanted. Cale reassured his new people that they were safe in the Wind Island since no one could enter the island except for the people present and if someone forced their way inside, they would immediately die.

Freesia and her people will use the Wind Island as their base of operations and Cale has given them sets of tasks to complete before the year ends. Cale's goal in that year was to somehow make the Rowoon Kingdom a safe kingdom. Some of Freesia's people would also covertly investigate the Eastern Continent. They settled in one of the rooms inside the chateau and, as usual, Cale will occupy the top floor.

After reaching an agreement, Cale and his dragons went back since the redhead had fallen asleep for overworking himself. Bud told the dragons they would contact them later.

Months passed in a blink of an eye, the things Cale asked to Freesia to investigate was going well. All he needed to do now was to execute his plans. There have been cases of human trafficking in the Gyerre Territory and they were being sold off to the Mogoru Empire. It was an illegal business venture and the noble involved were under Duchess Gyerre rule. However, the Duchess doesn't have any idea this was happening in her territory.

Cale had compiled the documents and evidence needed in order for the illegal business to put to a stop. The redhead doesn't have any intention of revealing himself, however he included a letter telling the Duchess that once the redhead asks for help, they have to help him. He didn't outright mention his name or his features, he just wrote a thing or two that only the Duchess and her heir would recognize once he needed them.

After that, news about human trafficking erupted in the Rowoon Kingdom and the nobles involved were punished, and the Gyerre Dukedom avoided being roped around the illegal business. The people who were about to be sold were given proper care and rehabilitation. Cale was certainly satisfied with that. When Alver talked about it, the prince had suspected Cale was the one who helped the Gyerres. He didn't deny nor agree, which made Alver conclude that it was indeed Cale. As a result, Alver gifted Cale a lot of gems, cookies and tea—after all, he liked them.

Cale also rewarded Freesia and her people for a job well done. Cale believed appropriate praises and rewards were necessary for your people to get motivated and continue working for you. Since Bud and Cale were working together, the redhead got some updates with what was happening to that organization and they would covertly mess with the organization.

And so, a year passed and now Cale was fourteen years old—the deadline for his body and soul. 

//TBC ...

Notes:

Dark pink camellia means desire and passion.

Baby's breath means everlasting love and innocence.

Lily means innocence and purity.

Dahlia means unconditional love.

Anemone means anticipation

Amaryllis means splendid beauty

Next chapter: One's philosophy

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 411 22
The war with the White Star has come to an end and peace was now reigning over and so it was time for Cale to address the problem he has to carry for...
37.4K 2.3K 13
[Completed] *Spoilers Ahead for Trash of the Count's Family* *Fanfic*
158K 11.8K 61
Secret Organization. White Star. Sealed God. They are all gone now. Peace has come again to the Western and Eastern Continent. All thanks to a single...