Yao: 09

Two days have passed. I haven't left the comfort or the safety of my bed once, except when I needed to use the bathroom.

My stomach grumbled for what must have been the twentieth time in a row.

Reader: Shh.

I hushed it, hoping it would forget about how empty it was and leave me alone.

No matter how much I tried to forget what happened the events came rushing back in vivid detail. The stench of blood as the person clutched at their wound, the feeling of--

I shook my head hard, willing the memory away like a dog shakes to rid itself of pesky fleas.

No, I've had enough of that memory. If I lie here long enough, maybe I'll forget.

Reader: Or maybe I'll dissolve into the very fabric of these sheets...

Knock, knock!

I jumped, startled. I didn't bother answering.

Feliciano: Bella, are you all right? You haven't left your room...Yao made some delicious pancakes; aren't you hungry?

My stomach gurgled at the mere mention of food. I used a hand to stifle it.

As hungry as I was I couldn't even bring myself to sit up, instead cocooned under the covers.

Were they...worried about me?

No. Creatures like them, they don't have emotions like us.

The injured vampire's smile flashed across my mind. When I shook my head it was replaced with a different one, one that was rare yet warm.

Maybe they have feelings...to an extent.

The door opened without warning, Yao appearing dissatisfied.

Yao: Do you suddenly think you are too good for my cooking?

He asked, despite knowing that wasn't the case.

Yao: Get dressed. You can't lie about all day.

Reader: Don't wanna.

I mumbled, yet he seemed to have heard anyway.

Yao: Get ready, now. Don't make me repeat myself.

Despite his words he was being patient with me. With a sigh I sat up, him finally leaving the room.

Still, couldn't he at least be a little nice to me?

A strange emotion pooled within my heart, the desire for him to cast a kind look or word my way.

Reader: No point dreaming over useless things.

That's something Yao would say.

As much as I fought it, the warmth from the water and softness of the bubbles felt heavenly against my skin. Soaking felt so wonderfully good now I never wanted to leave.

I caught my reflection in the wide mirror, red on my skin tacky.

I took a sponge, scraping off the blood that had dried on my neck with a fervor I never knew could exist.

With the water now pink I instantly got out, rinsing off my body with the shower head before wrapping up in a fuzzy towel.

Freshly bathed and dressed, I found Yao at the bottom of the stairs.

Yao: Come.

Noticing we were nearing the foyer my steps faltered.