Arthur: 10

Days passed. I hadn't left my bed during that time, unable to move.

~guuurgle~

My stomach...

Despite being starved I can't find the motivation to get out of bed. That vampire...

I clenched my eyes tight as images flashed in my mind, willing them away with all my might.

I don't want to think about that, not now, not ever!

Knock, knock!

I jumped, startled by the abrupt noise.

Arthur: _? Are you alright?

I opened my mouth to reply but promptly closed it. There's no way someone like him, a vampire, could understand what I've been through...

Arthur: Alright, I'm coming in.

Wait; don't!

I didn't have time to protest, the door opening. He wore an inquisitive expression mixed with worry, eyeing me in the bed.

Arthur: Do you plan on being bedridden the rest of your life? The world hasn't stopped turning just for you.

I know that...!

Even so, I couldn't find the motivation to want to leave, not even food could pull me out from under the covers.

Arthur: It's time for you to get bathed and dressed. I won't have you keep me waiting, either.

Despite his words his tone was soft, almost as if he was treading around me. After a weighty silence he stepped closer to the bed, unsure of whether to sit or remain standing.

Arthur: You know, that vampire won't be hurting you again.

Reader: What do you mean?

Did...did Arthur do something to them?

Arthur: Exactly as I said. Now come on, let's get ready.

With a gentle push from Arthur, I was able to get out of bed, wobbly on my feet. I managed to make it to the bathroom without problem, closing the door behind me. Turning the shower on, I cranked it to full heat, steam filling the small room.

Reader: Ah!

The water, while hot, seemed to deep-cleanse not only my skin, but everything that happened. I let out a content sigh, feeling my shoulders droop as I relaxed. I craned my head back, letting the propulsed water beat into my skin.

Maybe Arthur knows what he's talking about after all.

After drying off I changed into a clean pair of clothes, feeling better. Except now I was truly aware of just how starved I was, stomach growling once more.

I wandered the mansion until I found Arthur in the kitchen. He turned around with a slight smile.

Arthur: I know I'm not the best, but I've gotten better! These past days I didn't know what to do, so I've been baking...

He trailed off, ringing his hands in unsureness.

It was...

Charming

Amusing

Charming:

Arthur managed to surprise me once again, looking at him with new eyes. I mirrored his smile, stepping closer to the metal countertop.

Amusing:

I felt a smile forming on my lips at the thought of Arthur trying to cook, smoke clouds billowing until he finally managed to perfect his craft; the excitement that must have been on his face as he was successful was all too much.

I smiled larger, stepping closer to his side.

Reader: What will we be making today, then?

Arthur: Well, I really only practiced one recipe so...

I eyed the recipe book on the countertop, picture of dessert making me nearly salivate.

Reader: Cake it is!

We worked side by side; I would read out the next instruction and he'd carry it out, whether that was sifting flour or spreading the concoction into the cake pan. I prepared the frosting, a cloud of white erupting as I added a touch too much powdered sugar.

Arthur laughed, dusting me off.

Reader: Thanks.

I looked up at him, his hand suddenly jerking away.

Arthur: O-of course!

With the cake in the oven all we had to do was wait. Soon enough the timer dinged, alerting us it was finished. After allowing it to cool, we both spread the frosting on top and the sides. He reached into a small jar, sprinkling chocolate shavings on top.

Reader: This looks amazing! I can't believe WE made this!

Arthur: It shouldn't be a surprise; I'm good at anything I put my mind to!

I smiled to myself, grabbing a knife to cut the cake.

We took our respective slices to the table, paired with Earl Grey tea.

Reader: Mmm~ It's delicious!

Even Arthur was in a state of stupor, fork hovering below his mouth.

Arthur: You're right! I think it's even better than last time!

Mere hours ago I was holed up in my room, afraid of the world. Then along came Arthur, drawing me out of my shell, reminding me of the good in the world.

Vampires may be scary, but not all of them are bad.