Arthur: 08

--TW: Blood, Implied Death--

I looked to my left and right before crossing the road, heart beating loudly in my chest. Ever since yesterday Ivan has been holed up in his room, not even answering to my persistent knocks. Desperate, I thought I'd try making some English cuisine to lift his spirits.

Reader: The market should be right up ahead...

I thought aloud to myself, trying to remember.

???: Help!

What? I spun around but was alone.

???: Someone, please help me!

The voice seems to be coming from an alleyway! I broke out into a run, moving as fast as my legs could carry me. I rounded the corner, skidding to a halt.

Leaning against the wall was a person, head bowed. Their hand covered their stomach, blood flowing freely.

They slowly lifted their head, face pale.

???: You've come to save me...Please help, I've lost a lot of blood...

Were they stabbed? I didn't see a weapon, but the attacker might have held on to it.

I couldn't move, too in shock.

???: Please! Don't let me die.

They begged louder, startling me into motion.

Reader: It'll be okay, I'll help you so just hold on!

I should have my cell phone...ah! My bag, I must have dropped it while running!

???: Thank you.

I turned towards the injured person again, them smiling weakly.

Reader: Don't thank me yet; I haven't done anything.

In a swift motion they grabbed my wrist. Before I could call out they spun me around, slamming me against the brick alley wall so forcefully it knocked my breath away.

???: I've been waiting for a kind soul to rescue me...I've lost too much blood, you see.

I tried regaining my breath but they firmly placed their hand at my throat, just tight enough to dissuade me from moving.

???: You'll help me, right? If I stay like this I'm a goner for sure.

What is going on?!

My eyes flew open wide as they tilted my head back, exposing my neck.

Wait. No. No, no this can't be. This can't be what I think it is!

They licked their lips in anticipation, crazed by the smell of their own blood.

A vampire?! An injured one, at that?

I didn't have time to question, chills racing down my spine as they inhaled deeply, nose gently touching my skin.

Cold...

Without warning they extended their jaw wide, revealing two, long sharp fangs. I clamped my eyes closed tight, pain erupting as they forcefully jammed them into my neck.

I let out a scream, their hand covering my mouth, stifling it.

No...no, this is wrong!

The sound of them swallowing was enough to make me lightheaded. The fanning of their labored breath was disgusting.

This is...vile. This isn't anything like-

Anything like when Arthur drank my blood.

Reader: Mng-!

They shoved their fangs in deeper, slimy tongue roving over my skin, lapping up blood like a hound from hell.

No. No, I HATE THIS.

I can't let them get away with this!

And yet, my vision started to fade, bright spots flashing. My body was heavy yet light, slumping forward.

The vampire removed their hand from my mouth, pressing against my shoulder to keep me upright. Even then I lost strength, nearly limp.

This can't be the end...

This pure EVIL can't be my end. Yet, is this my fate? Ever since I was young my fate seemed to be twisted.

An image flashed across my mind, a warm and caring smile lighting up my world.

Reader: Arthur...

As I slipped into nothingness, I swore I saw his face. A face of bone-chilling rage.

----

ARTHUR'S MONOLOGUE

My eyes were locked on _, her body crumpled against the ground. I slowly looked up, vampire wiping a trail of her blood from his chin.

Vampire: Hm, guess this alleyway isn't as secluded as I originally thought. No matter.

They straightened their back, smiling.

Vampire: I'll just kill you then.

I closed my mouth, lips spreading into a wide grin. They noticed, puzzled. Then they seemed to figure it out, asking--

Vampire: Y-you're a vampire?!

They backed up, eyes going wide as their back touched the stone wall.

Vampire: Then you know I only did it to survive! She's still alive, I swear it!

I glanced at _ once more, her chest rising and falling.

Arthur: There was never a question of whether or not she was alive. If she weren't you'd already be dead. Still, I wouldn't--

The scared person cut me off, begging.

Vampire: I was being hunted!

Hunted?

Vampire: I was injured and had no choice, please!

That's news to me. I didn't think there were any Hunters in this town. Still...

Arthur:...That isn't my concern. You'll pay for what you've done, you miserable cretin.

I stepped forward, their empty pleas echoing through the alleyway.

Having no other choice but to fight, the vampire let out a snarl, leaping towards me with their claws out.

Arthur: Heh.

I easily side-stepped their attack, grabbing them by their throat. They pawed at my hands, squeezing tighter.

Vampire: Please...!

They squeaked.

I looked over at _. In that moment I knew I could never forgive them.