Ludwig: 07

I watched, partly in disbelief, at the man cleaning before me. His blond hair lay neatly groomed against his head, almost shining in the dim light as the sun prepared to set outside the wide window.

Reader: Why do you clean both before and after dinner?

I found myself asking. I almost expected another of his famous rants, yet instead he let out a soft, tired sigh.

Ludwig: Perhaps you are right. A break sounds really good about now.

He said, settling into a chair.

Wow...

He seems exhausted. I felt a small pang at my chest as he closed his eyes, resting.

Reader: You should...

Ludwig opened his eyes, expectantly gazing at me.

Ludwig: Hm?

Why did I care so much? No one is making him do this work all alone. And yet...

Reader: You should rely on me more.

His eyes widened slightly. I held my breath for his response, even if only to scold me.

His lips slowly parted.

Francis: Oh my. What scene have I stumbled upon?

Alfred: Gross.

Ugh, those two! Why'd they have to come here now?

Ludwig: Ah, is Yao going to prepare dinner?

Francis: He's nearly done; he's been back in the kitchen this whole time.

Feliciano soon joined us, look of worry on his face.

Feliciano: Are you okay? You seem...off.

Ludwig: I'm fine, really.

His words were more tired than stern, him moving to stand.

Ludwig: I should see if he needs help serving.

Arthur: Running away again?

Ludwig slowly turned, frowning.

Ludwig: What?

Arthur: You really do work so hard. I almost feel bad for you.

Ludwig: Don't bother.

Arthur only smiled wider.

Arthur: But you know, your helpfulness is exactly why Gil-

In a moment, one too fast for me to see, Ludwig had appeared inches from Arthur, wide hand wrapped around his throat.

No one dared move for what felt like eons.

The tension and silence was broken by the gentle sound of a plate set down onto the table. Yao looked completely calm, focusing on the task at hand; as if he was alone in the room and Ludwig didn't have his hand around Arthur's throat.

In a swift motion Ludwig released him, storming out of the room.

Ludwig...

What just happened?

Compared to the tranquility of reading to the sound of rain while drinking tea, Ludwig had become violent. And somehow desperate.

[Go After]

[Wait]

I took a single step before feeling someone grab my arm. Whipping around to retort, it quickly fell flat at the sight of deep, brown eyes.

Yao: That would be very unwise. Please consider letting him cool off.

I somehow felt those words were more out of concern for Ludwig than I. His hand released me, leaving to join the others at the table.

I'm not hungry anymore. How could I think of eating when Ludwig is so distressed? He really did overwork himself again. I know that's not why he was upset, but it's the only way I can help.

"Gil".

I wonder who that person is, what they mean to Ludwig.

A small part of me, deep down, might wish I can mean that much to him one day, too.