Yao: 06

I was unable to fall back asleep, lying in bed for hours with nothing but my thoughts. Yao is an enigma to me. Despite being a stranger I can't help feel that he's tied to me in some way. The fact that he has father's picture is unnerving. A shiver raced across my body despite the blanket wrapped around me.

I need to get up.

I swung my legs out from the bed, putting on a fresh set of clothes. Despite my efforts, my thoughts landed on him again, fingers pausing on a blouse button.

Yao had said to forget the past...How did he know? He couldn't have. Even if he can sense the 'aura' of my dreams there's no way he could've known. And that boy; I have never seen him before. 

'There's no use worrying', he said. Though if he were in my shoes I have the feeling he wouldn't say those words so lightly. Even so, he has a point, despite me wishing he didn't. I can't change the past. The reassuring part is that it will never happen again-perhaps that sentiment is the only thing keeping me going. If I can survive my past, I can surely survive these vampires.

I walked into the room despite having no real intentions, surprised to see Yao sitting beside the table, brown eyes cast down. Without looking up he spoke, "You should go back to bed."

Is that his way of showing concern for me? Or more likely, he just wants to be alone.

_: I can't sleep no matter how hard I try.

His expression didn't change yet I swear I could feel the air shift between us somehow. Hoping the lingering feeling would pass I stepped closer, peeking at what had captivated his attention.

_: A puzzle?

He slid a piece into place, tapping it with a finger.

Yao: Yes. I quite enjoy them. What about you?

I never gave them much thought. Whether he understood what I was thinking or my silence answered, he continued.

Yao: I see. You should give them a try when you get the chance. They're quite relaxing.

Now that I think about it, Yao is seemingly the most stressed out of the eight men. Despite appearing to have no real job he often times appeared tired, easily snapping at others when they argue.

_: Mind if I join then?

He looked up, momentarily surprised.

Yao: ...I suppose not.

He said no more, moving to sit next to him on the couch.

The image of the puzzle was difficult to see with so many missing pieces, though it was quite colorful. Flowers, perhaps? As I was watching he had found another piece, tapping it into place.

Yao: That's another wonderful thing about puzzles. No two pieces are the same, each having their own place where they belong. You can try forcing two pieces together-but it won't work. Even one piece out of place alters the entire image.

I wasn't sure what to say to that. What he said was true, but I had the strong feeling he wasn't merely talking about puzzles. I stole a glance at the man beside me. His brown hair cast over his shoulder looked incredibly soft, opposite of his hard calculating eyes.

Before he could catch me staring I glanced away, returning my focus to the puzzle.

If anyone here were one, it'd be you, Yao.

There's so much I want to know, so much I need to know-

I was brought out of my thoughts by the sound of him tapping the last piece in place. The completion revealed not a field of flowers, but of a rising red sun over the ocean. While I was still gazing at the picture he grabbed the edges and quickly disassembled it, nothing more than a pile of pieces.

His expression...why does he seem so forlorn and upset?

Perhaps afraid I'd comment on his actions he stood and left the room.