His Proposal - Prologue

It's hard to say 'goodbye' to someone you love. Harder when it's your younger sister who's got leukemia and chemo didn't work. Looking over at Aleysa, she's lying in bed, hooked to wires. Her eyes are sunken in and purple bags are underneath them.

A hospice nurse is standing close by and adjusts stuff on the machine. "I'll leave you to talk to your sister." She opens the door and walks out of the room, leaving me alone with her.

Aleysa places her head on my shoulder. "Chloe, I don't want to leave you without telling you something. You're the best sister in the entire world. You took a whole heap of things on this year, starting with being a guardian for Nate and I. You brought us a whole new family, it made it easier when I was missing Mom and Dad. Veronica and Ricky were here to fill the parent's role for us. Jai and you were great parental figures as well. You're going to be a great Mom when the time comes."

"Thank you, Aleysa. I was lucky that I got to spend time with you and that it ended with a proposal for me, that you helped Jai with. It meant the world to me. Your birthday will always hold a special place in my heart, especially since it was the night of the proposal." Climbing off the bed I turn towards her. "Bye, Aleysa."

"Bye, Chloe." She looks at the door. "If you see a butterfly, that's me saying 'hello and I love you at the same time."

A tear falls down my face and I embrace my little sister for the last time. "I love you, Aleysa."