His Proposal - 103

A phone starts vibrating on the nightstand and I look over at it. I turn it over and see that Leila is calling.

Jai looks over my shoulder. "You should answer that." He climbs out of bed. "I have a few things I need to take care of with Bianca. Caleb's Lawyer is going to be there too. I sent him a message yesterday telling him what has been going on and he cancelled something to help me out. That's why everything is moving so fast."

The phone keeps vibrating. I pick it up.

Me: Hello, Leila.

Leila: About time you answered your phone. What are you doing today?

Me: I'm going shopping with a friend from New York.

Leila: Can I come?

Me: Sure, if you can handle being around two pregnant women. You're more than welcome.

Leila: Make that three. I just found out I was pregnant today. I haven't told Ace yet. I'm not sure how he's going to react to the news.

Through the phone, I hear. "What news, princess?"

"I'm pregnant." the line goes quiet.

I'm not going to listen in on their private conversation.

Jai walks out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his body. He looks at me. "Are you spending the day with Leila too?"

I shrug. "I told her about going shopping with Harley. I mentioned that Harley was pregnant as well and that we were going to spend the day shopping. She told me she was pregnant and then the line went quiet after she told Ace she was pregnant."

Jai leans against the wall. "I'm going to see him after the Lawyers. I don't know what time I will be home tonight." He walks over to me and kisses me. You should invite Leila back here."

"I will."

"Great!" He walks out of the bedroom.

The phone starts to vibrate again and I pick it up. There's a sniffle on the other end of the phone.

Me: Leila?

Leila: He... she sobs. Kicked me out. Where am I supposed to go?

Me: You can stay with me. Pack a bag and I'll be there shortly.

Leila: Okay. She hangs up the phone.

I pick up my handbag and head to the kitchen. I go through the cupboards and pull out a muesli bar.

That's good enough for me.

I put a banana and crackers in my bag as well before I walk out the door.

Jai climbs into his car. "Did Leila call you back?"

I nod. "Ace kicked her out."

"I'll talk to him." He pulls out of the driveway.

I wonder why Ace isn't happy about the news?

***

Leila is waiting outside the mansion when I pull the over. She puts her stuff in the backseat. She climbs into the car. "Can we go now?"

I look at the house and I see Ace standing at the window and he looks livid. His fists are clenched and so's his jaw. He shuts the blinds and that's when I pull away from the house.

Tears are running down Leila's face. She looks at me. "I lost Dad's company. He's going to be furious when I tell him." She wraps her arm around herself.