His Proposal - 97

"I never saw you. You revealing yourself to me like this is stupid on your part. Do you really think that my brother and I would go anywhere without protection?"

He withdraws his gun and points it at me. "The names, Orion, bitch." He squeezes the trigger and I shut my eyes, holding onto my brother.

I hear two gunshots. I peel my eyes open and look at Nate and myself.

We're fine.

***

When I look over at Jai he's slumped over in his chair. I climb out of my seat and walk over to him. "Jai?"

He doesn't reply.

I lift his head and pull open his shirt. I see that he's wearing a vest. I slap the back on his head. "Wake up, Jai." I pull the shirt off a bit more and see the bullet embedded in the vest.

He slowly opens his eyes. "Chloe,"

Good, he's alright. How did he know that he should wear a vest today?

Jai pulls me into his lap. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, I was worried about. You were slumped over in your seat." I look where Orion was standing and see my cousin there with his gun drawn. "Why did you wear a vest, Jai?"

He looks at my cousin. "Carter called last night and told me that someone was following us and he was worried that the person was going to make a move today. He told me that I should wear a best in case his instinct was right. It was right, Carter."

Carter moves over to the table and he looks at Nate and me. "Are you alright?"

I nod. "How did you know this might happen, Carter?"

He moves over to the chair next to Nate and he looks at me. "I had to keep my distance from you as I knew there was a chance someone would come after you. I kept a close eye on the group that murdered your parents and I have been taking them out one by one. This guy was the last one on my list." Carter turns his attention to Nate. "Happy Birthday, Cuz. I got you something, but it's in the car."

The police show up fifteen minutes later, and they interview everyone that was at the restaurant.

An officer reads the Miranda rights to Carter as he cuffs him. He leads him to the car.

I yell. "We'll get you out."

This isn't the way I saw my brother's birthday going. He deserved to have a great day, instead, this happens. It's going to be a birthday he never forgets.

His next Birthday should be better as he will be in university and he'll celebrate with his friends.

Jai looks at me. "You're not going with us to the station. I want you to relax here for a while and then we're going to spend the night at a hotel and leave early in the morning." He turns to Nate. "Do you want to come with me, or stay here with, Chloe?"

"I'll come with you. I haven't been in a police station before and I would love to see what it looks like." Nate climbs into the car.

Jai pulls the window down and stops next to me. "Get some rest, Chloe. We'll be back as soon as we can." He drives away leaving a trail of dust behind.

I walk back into the building and make my way to the room. I open the door and climb into bed. I fall asleep.

***