His Proposal - 67

Today is the day that Veronica and Ricky are getting released from the hospital. I'm sitting in the kitchen listening to Jai, Charlotte, Gerald and Xander argue over whose going to bring their parent's home from the hospital.

Rolling my eyes at the siblings. I listen to them fight over something so meaningless, like whose picking up their parents.

I need to get out of here. Those three are driving me crazy.

Pushing out the seat I was sitting on I rise and walk over to the key hook. I take a pair of keys off the rack and make my way to the door.

Aleysa walks over to me and whispers. "Take me with you, please?" she begs.

"Sure, let's not tell them we're going to pick up their parent's. It's not hard for them to get in the car and drive to the hospital and get them together." I open the door to the garage and pull the black SUV out of the driveway. I head to the hospital with my sister.

She turns the radio and she begins to sing black magic.

I forgot how beautiful her voice is. I wish that I had free hands to tape this.

Aleysa smiles. "What are you thinking about, sis?"

"I was thinking about how beautiful your voice is and how I'm going to miss it when you're gone."

She touches my arm. "When we get home I will sing and you can tape me. That way you can keep me in the family."

"Thank you."

Aleysa leans back in her chair and she closes her eyes as she continues to sing. "Do we have to go home right away? I want the Marshall siblings to stew a little about their parents being missing."

I laugh. "I agree. Maybe, next time their parents need to be picked up from the hospital they won't argue as much."

My iPhone starts to ring and I see 'Jai' flash across the screen.

Aleysa looks at me. "Are you going to answer that?"

"Nah," I keep my eyes on the road. "I don't want to hear them still argue. It's better to just ignore the phone." Picking up my phone I switch it off. "On second thought switching it off will better." I turn towards Aleysa. "You should turn yours off too. He will call you next."

Aleysa takes her phone out of her bag and switches it off. She turns towards me. "He's going to be pissed..."

"Aleysa," I cut her off.

She ignores me and continues talking. "That we turned our phones off on him."

Pulling the car into the parking lot of the hospital. I park the car and pull the keys out of the ignition. "Let's help Veronica and Ricky escape the hospital before their kids get here."

"Jailbreak," Aleysa yells and walks to the front door of the hospital. She leads the way to the room. She pushes the door open to their room and she puts her fingers on her lips as she looks at them. "We're going to break you out of here." she looks at me. "Your kids were arguing over who was going to pick you up. Chloe and I snuck out of the house."

Veronica laughs. "They won't be happy that you got us before them." She winks at me. "I'm looking forward to freaking my kids out when they come to the hospital looking for us."

Ricky nods. "Are we going to torture them for a while by taking the long way back to the house?"

Aleysa sits on Veronica's bed. "We're going to get ice cream before we head back to the house, but I think we should go to the look-out and eat our ice cream first."

Ricky wraps his arm around his wife. He looks at Aleysa. "I like the way you think kiddo." He picks up his bag. "Let's leave before the doctor changes his mind about discharging us." He holds his hand out to me. "I'm driving."

Shaking my head, I say. "You just got out of the hospital. I'm not going to let you drive."

"Fine," he huffs like a child.

Crossing my arms. "Ricky, are you really going to act like a child in front of me? You know it should be me doing that to you."

"Does that mean I get to drive?"

"Hell, no. That means that you need to sit in the back of the car and shut your mouth. I will be doing the driving and you can relax in your seat."

Veronica hugs me. "Damn, where have you been all these years?"

"New York,"

She laughs. "It's a shame Jai didn't meet you when he was there. He spent five years living there, but he decided that it wasn't the place for him."

New York is a big place, but I wouldn't be surprised if we ran into each other while we were there.

Veronica and Ricky sign out of the hospital and they sit in wheelchairs as we wheel them to the entrance of the hospital. They stand up and follow us to the car.

At the car, Ricky climbs into the front passenger seat. He looks at me. "I hope you don't kill us with your driving."

Veronica leans forward and she slaps her husband on the arm. "Be nice to the girl. She rescued us from our kids."

He looks at me. "That's the only thing I'm grateful for."

Narrowing my eyes at him. "I can leave you here and you can deal with the four annoying kids you conceived with Veronica."

He shakes his head. "I think I will stay with Aleysa and you. You are a safer bet than my own kids." He looks out the window. "If you want to get away with us you should leave now. I see them coming this way."

Looking out the window I see the second black SUV that Jai owns pulling into the parking lot.

Damn it. They were quicker than I thought.

Reversing the car out of the parking spot, I face the direction of the one-way lane. I follow it until I reach the turn off for the main road. I turn to the left and head to the ice cream shop.

Veronica's phone starts to ring and she looks at me. "It's Jai. What do I do?"

Aleysa takes the phone from her and switches it off. "We turned ours off." She whispers. "Jai might have trackers on our phones and we don't need him to find us."

Looking at Ricky. "You better turn yours off." He takes his phone out of his pocket and turns it off. "Thank you."

He looks at me. "Jai will find you. It's only a matter of time. When he loves someone he will search until he finds them."

I smile. "Well, we better enjoy our ice cream until he shows up." I pull the car into the parking of and ice cream shop.

We walk in and look at the flavours of ice cream before we place our orders. We take our ice creams and head up the mountain.